• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Frosted/Etched Film + Application Tape Combo

Melks

What is your go to combo for frosted film that needs application tape due to logo cut outs or other designs?
I commonly use:
3M 7725 dusted crystal with 3M SCPS2 prespacing tape
OR
Mactac 9700 Frosted with 3M SCPS prespacing tape

Removal of application tape always seems to be a small battle. I often try:
- Wetting the application tape before removal
- letting it sit for a while before removal of the application tape
- using rapic tac application fluid instead of soap/water combo

Wondering what combo everyone else feels most comfortable with. Words of wisdom always welcome!:)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 7.57.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 7.57.44 PM.png
    899.6 KB · Views: 236
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 7.58.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 7.58.59 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 150
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 7.59.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 7.59.09 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 150

Grafix

I use Oracal 8510RA with the Oratape LT95 app tape. No water required. Bubble free install and the app tape comes off easily as its low tack. Work so well for us.

tulsagraphics

7725 and the MacTac are both pretty good. As far as production goes -- The best trick I found is to digitally print the areas I'm going to weed. I also print the Trim-o-Matic marks for my Fotoba, and I use TransferRite AirMask 510U for the application tape (which is plenty aggressive, and it allows the Fotoba to read the registration marks. That's about as easy as it gets (I think!)
Fotoba Dreamcut: https://photos.app.goo.gl/miCPV7Byu3EESGfW7

Attachments

• chrome_7Z7ZZdRnBE.jpg
    chrome_7Z7ZZdRnBE.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 142
  • chrome_8Vr4hCE1Zo.jpg
    chrome_8Vr4hCE1Zo.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 141

carlroger

We have been using 3M 7725 with 3M SCPS2 for many years. if it's a large area then we always wet the surface and then we come back the next day to remove the application tape. Letting it sit for a day does the trick for us.

Chuck B

Riff Meister
Avery Etchmark and 4075RLA tape---always dry...no matter what size. I know the 3M product is great, but had bought a roll of the Avery Etchmark to save a little money years ago. The first time I used it, I found it to be the most easy (relatively) to apply with successful results. It's been the only etched/frosted film I've used for 5 years now. For me, a lot of the other brands (not 3M) are much harder to get down without leaving visible bubbles. Some bubbles pop great, some don't (cause a wrinkle). Haven't tried any of the air release flavors yet...kind of reluctant to fix something that's not broken.