• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fumes from JV33

S

Stan B

We run couple of Mimaki JV33 12 hours a day non stop... Fumes are terrible!

We built a room for printers to close them up. 3 vents in a room. Can't come in without a mask. But we can handle it.

But what to do with 3000 sq ft shop when you unroll 30' long full color frshly printed banner every hour or so? Fumes from almost dry but fresh banner are bad. Someone told me to get air purifier but I just don't think that it will suck all the fumes coming from 30' long banner on the table.

With Michagn winter coming having overhead door open is not an option. Shop does not have central ventilation

Any suggestions, please?

Thank you all
stan

S

Stan B

1 is, another one is not. The room is well vented it self. Although the real problem is fumes in the workshop from huge fresh banners we handle

ColesCreations

Install a ventilation system with a heat exchanger that recoups much of the heat leaving with the outgoing air. It's fairly low tech, where you force ingoing air through the heat exchanger, heating it up with the outgoing air. Then, basically, if air going out is 70 deg, and outside temp is 30 deg, incoming air will be heated to around 50 degrees, outgoing air will be cooled to 50 degrees.

This is fairly common in Norway, not outrageously expensive, and saves a lot on electricity while maintaining a safe environment to work in.

It sure will be cheaper than lawsuits from dead employees families though...

ScotJ

We just installed a JV5 and have the same problem.

I haven't got a heat exchanger, but we did get a big carpentry shop dust collector. It does 1800cfm and works pretty well. They are cheap to - $200-$300. You couldn't probably suck the air out of your shop with 2 of those pretty easily.

S

Stan B

Thank you Guys

about this Digi-dryer - will it get the printer itself too hot that it will burn it's electronic parts

S

Stan B

I'm sorry for beign dum. But isnt't the heater that heats most of the lower bottom part of the printer (even with banner coming out of it) will not get all the boards and electronics in the printer to raise it's operational temperature in a great extent?

oakcitysigns

Don't mean to be a thread pirate, but Scot J, I have looked into the dust management systems for carpentry, and I am curious as to how loud they are. Any comparison you could make?

Thanks!

Rooster

Find a hydroponics store in your area. They usually have some great low cost solutions for removing odours from the air.

I'm putting together a a unit that will do my production area for about $500. You might be looking at ~$2000 to do a 3000 sq ft area. Still much cheaper than the commercial airscrubber solutions. I need to pull about 550 cfm through a charcoal filter for my 700 sq ft area with a fairly low ceiling. Depending on your ceiling height you will need a larger unit and quite possibly two or three. Inline duct fans work great for moving the air and the charcoal filters will last up to 36 months.

The fumes are heavier than air so pull air from down low and return it up high to circulate the air properly. Although I've seen some guys that just mount the fan straight to the top of the filter and plug it in and let the whole thing sit there. Rather unsightly, but still pretty effective.