• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fuzzy fibers on the ends of a banner roll

JdBattDesignRCI

When I print reinforced banner material from a roll, the edges of the roll always seem to unravel into these thin hairlike fibers that wipe across the print heads and smear the ink, sometimes ruining otherwise good prints. The fresh new rolls are worse than older ones it seems.

Pulling at the fibers only makes them longer and it worsens the problem. Any suggestions on how to shave off the fibers on the edges?

Printing on an Arizona 1360 flatbed with RMO, typically use 13oz. banner vinyl with print side facing in. The head height was set at .014 for this material and I leave it there.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I like the excuse to light up the torch for this. Gotta be gentle, don't want to melt or deform the vinyl. but works Great with light strokes.

JdBattDesignRCI

I tried using a heat gun on the low setting and it does make the fibers shrink. But you need to unroll the vinyl on a table first to treat the edges, or it melts them together on the roll. Then when it unrolls it pulls them out longer.

Hope this helps.