• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge Help!

Rusty B

My gerber edge has started printing light on one side (hinged side) of prints. It is usually the last inch and half or so. For the life of me I can not figure out what has happened. The side closest to the front of the machine is flawless. I am using Flexi Cloud and it has always run it fine. The last few weeks I have noticed it and I am wondering if maybe the roller is getting worn on that side or if something may have been jogged around. The machine hasn't been moved in over a year and I clean the print head and other parts often with 98% alcohol. If anyone else has had this issue and can lend some helpful advice it would be greatly appreciated. I am posting a video to youtube to show exactly how the prints turn out. I just did a print using CMYK and it seems the Yellow and magenta printed in full and dark while the Cyan is light on that edge. I suppose it could be a problem with media and Cyan foil compatibility. I am using Oracal 651 clear and white. It does the same on both rolls of media. The foil isn't new as I have used it before and it printed fine. I looked it over and see nothing wrong with it visually. Thanks.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
In my experience, Oracal 651 is a hit or miss vinyl with the Gerber Edge, especially if you are using third party foils. I've also had infrequent issues with third party foils not printing well on other third party foils. My most common issue has been spot black (Apex/Iimak brand) not printing well on Oracal 651 gold. Yet the Apex black performed well on any other vinyl and the print was also perfect when I substituted Gerber spot black foil.

If you're using third party process colors, I suggest that one solution is likely to be using Gerber process foils. A second solution worth trying would be to print the design on another brand of white such as Gerber 220 white to see if that corrects the problem.

Rusty B

Thanks Fred. I am using Gerber process colors. I will get some 220 and see if it's still an issue. As soon as I get time today I will run a short print test with the CMYK foils on the oracal to narrow down the possibilities and I will post the results. I honestly don't think it is mechanical however I am no guru when it comes to the edge and needed reassurance I was on the right track. Thanks again for the quick reply.

Signsfyi

My gerber edge has started printing light on one side (hinged side) of prints. It is usually the last inch and half or so. For the life of me I can not figure out what has happened. The side closest to the front of the machine is flawless. I am using Flexi Cloud and it has always run it fine. The last few weeks I have noticed it and I am wondering if maybe the roller is getting worn on that side or if something may have been jogged around. The machine hasn't been moved in over a year and I clean the print head and other parts often with 98% alcohol. If anyone else has had this issue and can lend some helpful advice it would be greatly appreciated. I am posting a video to youtube to show exactly how the prints turn out. I just did a print using CMYK and it seems the Yellow and magenta printed in full and dark while the Cyan is light on that edge. I suppose it could be a problem with media and Cyan foil compatibility. I am using Oracal 651 clear and white. It does the same on both rolls of media. The foil isn't new as I have used it before and it printed fine. I looked it over and see nothing wrong with it visually. Thanks.
My Edge FX started doing this on process printed and anything with an overprint. What fixed it for me was changing the Print Mode setting. I ended up with 600x300 on overprints and 1200x300 on process prints. Each setting slows the printing down a bit. Not sure if this means my print head is slowly wearing out or not, but it did fix the problem.

Joe House

When you say it "Starts Up" what do you mean? Does the fan turn on? Does the screen display any text? Do the buttons respond?

TheFamous

Normally, when the the switch is turned on, the fan turns on and then there are a couple of beeps. Now there are no beeps and no display and buttons do not work.

Joe House

If reseating cables doesn't help, Then I'd start at the power supply - the fan runs on 120v, so it really isn't "processed" by the power supply. Check the voltage at the cable coming into the main board - most likely you'll not find any.

Good luck

Gaugeco Inc.

Pretty sure the fans both above the head and back vent fan run on 12 volt. But yes you will want to start by checking the fuse by the power switch and then check voltage at the power supply. Check for 120v into power supply and then on output there is multiple voltage. 12v 24v and 5v