• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Gerber Sabre "408": Blown Component On Board & Seeking Advise

AceLaser

Hello CNC Folks!

I just recovered from major repairs to our laser cutter (Air Filtration unit exploded, blown capacitors, water leaks everywhere inside and out!) just to have my 8' table start throwing an error code at me. Maybe y'all can help.

"UART OVERRUN" will pop up on the controller display and the spindle will stop in place - bit still under power. This code is basically telling me that the drip feed is still too much for the machine to read at a time. Called Gerber and was told that I am running a 1 meg board (Based off of a firmware reading) and need to be running a 4 meg to handle the data we are sending (Prismatic and Complex path objects). Popped the lid to get a couple of numbers and we see this.

IMG_20190805_125405.jpg

Obvious, this is a problem - but I don't know if this is my root problem. Do any of you know anything about these boards? Or have access to any documentation on the board itself that I could read up on?

Any help here will be appreciated.

Ready

Ready To Go
Here is a link to a site that sells the service manual for this... only about $13.00

https://www.service-manual.net/ashop/catalogue.php?product=57239

Bob P

QUOTE="AceLaser, post: 1441987, member: 74046"]Hello CNC Folks!

I just recovered from major repairs to our laser cutter (Air Filtration unit exploded, blown capacitors, water leaks everywhere inside and out!) just to have my 8' table start throwing an error code at me. Maybe y'all can help.

"UART OVERRUN" will pop up on the controller display and the spindle will stop in place - bit still under power. This code is basically telling me that the drip feed is still too much for the machine to read at a time. Called Gerber and was told that I am running a 1 meg board (Based off of a firmware reading) and need to be running a 4 meg to handle the data we are sending (Prismatic and Complex path objects). Popped the lid to get a couple of numbers and we see this.

View attachment 142096
Obvious, this is a problem - but I don't know if this is my root problem. Do any of you know anything about these boards? Or have access to any documentation on the board itself that I could read up on?

Any help here will be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

AceLaser

Bob: Thanks for the link! Just what we needed.

Fixtureman: We have a guy in house that believes that he can replace what was blown. I'm not too confident with this, so I am defiantly looking at plan B.

aajves

As i can see from the pictures you have blown a ceramic capacitor, you will be able to replace them but I doubt this will solve your problem

I think the capacitor have suffered from a short circuit.so replacing them might not solve this, I think you must follow the traces and see if you can find other damaged parts

Regards
Aajves

AF

Replacing the capacitors and fixing the traces could do the trick if the failure was caused by the capacitor itself and not a symptom of another problem. For a few dollars it could be worth a try. You could see if the manufacture will repair the board for you if you are not confident in doing it yourself. It is possible that the capacitor developed an internal short (as evidenced by the total destruction and high heat).

Looking again at the photo, the heat damage is close to the red connector. I would suggest pulling the connector and extracting the pins to check for problems. Potentially the short is at the connector.