• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

getting the best edge on acrylic letters

greenonionzz

I am using a Gerber Sabre 4x8 router to make a set of acrylic letters and I am on a quest for the perfect letter edge. Is it unrealistic to think I can pull these suckers of the table with a smoother than smooth edge, or is there additional handwork needed to get that smooth edge? I am looking at making these from 1/2" acrylic.....Any tips/ advice/ tricks?

Please and Thank You

miker

never used a sabre cut, but on our icut you run multiple depth passes for cutting and then do a finishing pass with a minor offset. follow that up with flame polishing and you should be all set.

that, or purchase a diamond tipped bit and cut it like butter. =)

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Silicon carbide or diamond tip router bit that has a fine tooth to it will give a near smooth edge ... just run through slowly to avoid chipping. Then flame polish for glass like surface.

Mosh

Sandpaper and a torch....practice first! i can get a "glass" finish, but I f'ed up a few to get to that point.
Although I have never done small letters under 6" and it is mostly small plex blanks that I polish the edges on, but
it works great with some practice.

nwsigns

There are 2 factors you need to look at.

First is your hold down method, if the part is moving at all then your not going to get a good finish due to the chatter. I have a serious blower and the parts really stick to the table and for small letters I apply transfer tape and cut to that .

Second is your bit and feeds/ speeds - I use an Onsrud Super O, climb mill at 120" per minute at 24000 RPM to get small chips. Thats a 1/4" bit on 3/16" acrylic so adjust as needed.

Done right they come off the table ready to install and almost look like they were done on a laser. I may go through more bits to keep them sharp but its well worth the cost as compares to the time to hand finish edges.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Sandpaper and a torch....practice first! i can get a "glass" finish, but I f'ed up a few to get to that point.
Although I have never done small letters under 6" and it is mostly small plex blanks that I polish the edges on, but
it works great with some practice.

good call, forgot sandpaper ... you can also drag a sharp knife along the edge too for refining.

digitalwoodshop

The engraving guys over on Sawmill Creek went in twice buying flame polishers from China. Ones that convert water for a serious small hot flame. I got one in the first buy.

Lots of info posts there in 2 very long threads.

AL