• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

glow in the dark vs photoluminscent vinly

FASTSIGNS

What is the difference between "glow in the dark" vinyl and "photoluminscent" vinyl. Specifically looking at Avery SF100 vs Gerber Luminscense. Using for EXIT signage. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Moze

Precision Sign Services
The spelling.

They're basically interchangeable terms. The material is essentially the same.

Adam.Foster

Glow in the Dark is a novelty-grade Glow in the dark material for Halloween decorations and kids stickers. Gerber Glow for example takes 1hr for it to fully charge and glows for a little over 30 minutes. Gerber Luminous film is a material designed for interior safety signage and identification signs to "glow" for up to 6hrs and charge in 3 minutes. The key is that it meets the International Maritime Organization, national fire Protection Association and Federal Railroad Administration requirements. Cheaper glow-in-the-dark materials do not meet these requirements.

FASTSIGNS

Glow in the Dark is a novelty-grade Glow in the dark material for Halloween decorations and kids stickers. Gerber Glow for example takes 1hr for it to fully charge and glows for a little over 30 minutes. Gerber Luminous film is a material designed for interior safety signage and identification signs to "glow" for up to 6hrs and charge in 3 minutes. The key is that it meets the International Maritime Organization, national fire Protection Association and Federal Railroad Administration requirements. Cheaper glow-in-the-dark materials do not meet these requirements.
Thank you.

FASTSIGNS

Avery Dennison ® SF100-120-S Glow in the DarkMeets or exceeds the following standards. ASTM E-2072-00 / ASTM E-2073-00, ASTM E-162, ASTM E-648, ASTM E-662, IMO Resolution A.752(18), ISO/CD 15370, Marine Safety Committee MSC.27(61), DIN 67 510 (Parts 1 - 4), and PSPA Standard 002 Part 2. Meets OSHA 1910.37, Lloyd's Register SAS F050294.p
Charge time of 5 minutes @ 1000 Lux will charge the sign for +10 hours of glow time. Consistent glow life and unlimited rechargeability throughout service life.

3M Luminous Film from Gerber meets the following standards and requirements: The luminosity meets and exceeds both ASTM 2072 and the International Maritime Organization A.752 (18) luminosity standards and it meets the ASTM 2073 luminosity standard. 3M Luminous Film From Gerber meets the requirements of the National Fire Protection Association Class A as defined NFPA 101, Life Safety Code; tested per ASTM E84-95 and E648-94a. 3M Luminous Film from Gerber meets the Federal Railroad Administration guidelines for flame spread and smoke density; tested per ASTM E162 and E662.
Gerber Luminous Film is a 9-mil, rechargeable, durable, “glow-in-the-dark” vinyl custom formulated by 3M for use with the GERBER EDGEÒ, GERBER EDGE 2Ò, and GERBER EDGE FX™ thermal transfer printing systems, in conjunction with GerberColorä Series Foils. This film recharges with as little as three minutes of exposure to sunlight, fluorescent, or incandescent light, but longer exposure will improve performance. A perceptible glow can be detected for up to seven hours

After reading the response from Adam Foster - I found this information. Both vinyl that I was interested in seem to meet the same requirements - bought the Avery SF100. Now I know everything! thank you all!

FASTSIGNS

What tipped the scale for you buying Avery vs Gerber?
Size - Gerber came 15” punched. Avery 24” and more readily available. As a side note, while I was researching the boss (my husband) bought gerber glow because it was cheap and available. He asked the rep for glow in the dark vinyl not knowing there would be quality differences (nor did the rep tell him). The roll is going back. The more you know! Thanks for all the replies.