• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Got Brought Up Top Speed On LED, Electronic Ballasts, New Style Fluorescent Tubes

player

A supplier had an open house today with reps from their head office and from a major electrical manufacturer. I have made a ton of conventional electric signs up to around 2001, so I never got exposed to LEDs or electronic ballasts and the new energy efficient fluorescent tubes. Nice to get that going.

player

I have made many electric signs up until 2001, and none since. I have serviced a big neon pylon and wall sign, but really no knowledge of what is current with the technology.

So I discovered there are new fluorescent tubes that work with electronic ballasts.

The difference in power consumption between LED and fluorescent and the old magnetic fluorescent magnetic ballasts is about 60% savings.

There is really no difference in power consumption between the new fluorescent and LED lighting, except the LED lighting is 1/3 less bright.

What nobody could answer for me was how much actual money it will cost and how much it will save over a given period, say 5 years.

Biker Scout

Get a little plug in device called "Watts Up" and leave your light plugged in for 30 days. From there you can easily extrapolate power consumption and make a legitimate comparison. (if you have two of them)

player

The thing is the guys selling the components say it saves your customers money over time... the components are more, but the energy savings will let them recoup the increased price and then they will start saving money. I want to be able to tell a potential customer it will cost you $X, you will save $Y over Z time with a 4' x 22' electric sign.

Biker Scout

Again... get a "Watts Up" and don't listen to the sales pitch.

Also, all those lights are manufactured in China anyway. Why pay the over priced mark-up when you can just buy right from the source. I get at least 1 email a day from several of the lighting manufacturers, ever since I made contact with a few of them at the sign show. Buying direct allows you to sell at a lower price, AND saving them money in the long run.

Do you ever sleep?