• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grand format banner pricing?

JPR-5690

One of our major clients is a state university and they're looking to replace an existing banner on one of their building facades.
They're thinking around 14x18ft vinyl (not mesh).

We primarily do digital/offset/mailing as well as some basic signage (i.e. indoor signs, corro, nothing fancy) so I/we have no experience with pricing large stuff like this, much less installation and removal.
The only reason we're offering to help out with facilitating this project is because we have a great relationship with this particular client.

I've already found local companies who will take care of the printing/removal/install.
Still waiting on formal estimates.

How should I handle pricing on this?

We can do our typical % markup but since Im unfamiliar with the market Im not sure what typical retail prices are.
Should we markup the removal/installation costs as well or just tack on a few hundo and be happy for the little profit?
Any thoughts on if we should just put the client directly in touch with the installers and let them sort it out themselves?
It'd be nice to make some money off the project but then again, it's a PITA being the middle person considering we don't really know what we're doing in this case...

2B

Since you are subbing it out, is the company doing the work going to show up and do BLIND work?
meaning show up in unmarked vehicles, wear unmarked clothing and only mention YOUR company while on location?

The other point is cross competition, meaning will the company being used offer the same products services you are already doing for the college?

the market is going to be dictated by what YOUR area charges.
I would wait for the estimates from the different Subs, are they pricing a wholesale project or a retail project? If they are pricing a retail project, their is your answer on the amount of markup and to stay competitive with pricing
cross-reference the material they are listing to what is available from a Print / Ship website and then use the labor for the variable for the rest of the markup

JPR-5690

I guess that's the dilemma here...since this isn't a market that we have any experience –and dont plan on entering it– I have no idea what the local market price is.
And since we dont know the market price we don't know how much to markup our costs.
We're not trying to be competitive so much as we're trying to help a client out and would like to make a profit.

The vendor who's doing the printing is charging us $2.50/sq.ft. for scrim vinyl.

For those of you who sell grand format to retail clients, do you have a ballpark sq.ft. rate for vinyl banner?
(for the product only, not installation)

Just trying to put a pin on a map so I dont feel like Im blindly hacking my way through the project

2B

Retail for us for a 14x18ft standard material is $3.75 SQFT With Hem & Grom

try ghost calling locally
ask the vendor what their retail is

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
$3.75 sqft sounds good and I’d just mark the install up slightly and be clear that you’re subcontracting it out. Your client will appreciate not having to find an installer and there won’t be any confusion on who is doing what.

We charge $3.50-4 depending on the number of banners. For big orders were down at $2ish but that’s outsourced and we’ve done it a lot so we have it pretty dialed in. It’s low but otherwise some clients just go overseas themselves

• Agree
Reactions: 2B