• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Graphtec uneven perf cut

MiguelGonzalez

Hello, I'm currently using a Ce6000 plotter, when i perf cut with the perf cut channel the cut would be very good and smooth on one side, while it didn't properly cut through on the other side(picture attached).
What could be the reason, the technician can't even figure it out. Hoping to find answer from other's experience, normal cutting is good tho.

Attachments

• IMG_20221207_191507.jpg
    IMG_20221207_191507.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 328

MiguelGonzalez

I'll be if you watched closely one circle cut clockwise and the other cut counter clockwise, as far as why they are opposite each other.
As far as what's causing it, sounds like the backing isn't quite stiff enough to not give as the plotter makes the circle. As the paper gives, it tears away, and the bits of paper left behind are not stiff enough to be cut either. I could be wrong, I hardly use perf cut, and I have a fc8600, so no direct help here...
Material i am using for this is 3M IJ 15 - 20, do you think upgrading to FC series would help?

ikarasu

Watch your cutter as it cuts - my guess is the one side is lifting up as it's cutting. I find adding more pinch wheels gives you a good perf cut because it'll hold the material down.. especially if you're perf cutting with a pounce,
I find using a normal cut pattern vs an up/down pounce leaves a cleaner cut and is more consistent. Less pull on the material so less variance in cut depth.

The CE should be more than enough on ij35 material... I suggest changing your cut pattern and seeing if that helps.

MiguelGonzalez

Watch your cutter as it cuts - my guess is the one side is lifting up as it's cutting. I find adding more pinch wheels gives you a good perf cut because it'll hold the material down.. especially if you're perf cutting with a pounce,
I find using a normal cut pattern vs an up/down pounce leaves a cleaner cut and is more consistent. Less pull on the material so less variance in cut depth.

The CE should be more than enough on ij35 material... I suggest changing your cut pattern and seeing if that helps
After trying again it seems that the backing is the broblem, i don't know if others have this issue with the same material, should i change my material if so what would you suggest ... also I'm using a 60° blade which i ordered from amazon, any other suggestions for the blade also?

Plus : I have no idea on this pounce up/down and normal cut you mentioned. All i know is that i used a preset made by someone i found on the internet for perf cut... and for normal cut(without the backing) i just use the default preset and adjust the force according to the vinyl

Last edited:

ikarasu

3m vinyl is one of the best for perf cutting... But anything that stabs material will lift it up when with the blade a bit. That's why I bought 4 extra pinch rollers and use 6...

Cheap blades are great for perf cutting.

Are you using a CE6000... or 6000 plus? Do you have a channel to cut over, or are you cutting over the strip? looks like only the plus model has a second slot. If you're cutting over the strip you may need a new strip. The graphtec strips arent meant for perf cutting... So if its a channeless version, thats likelly your problem. Theyre too thin / damage too easy, so you may get a few perf cuts out of it... but after that you'll have the same problem you're having now.

If you do have a channel on your series though.... You can change it to no cut line pattern, and the blade will always be down when its cutting VS constantly dropping and lifting.

Goto your perf cut condition. Click condition, scroll to cut line pattern, and change it to no pattern. Then do a cut and see if that works.