• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hard Drive Recovery

klemgraphics

All of this is scaring me. My hard drive crashed yesterday and its at our computer guys place now being cloned. I told the owner we needed to back up all of our data on to another drive about a year ago and several times since.... he was too cheap to buy another harddrive and I guess I was to lazy to put it on disk (talk about boring) I guess now he will really be paying for that mistake. All of the data for the last 8 years was on the drive and not a single backup

Wow 8 years, mine isn't that bad but still worth thousands in time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

choucove

If you need a comparison to try and drive home how important a backup hard drive can be, put it this way: "How much would it cost in labor to rebuild all of the art files that could be lost if your hard drive crashes?" The amount is probably unfathomable and downright impossible. If spending $100-$200 on a decent backup solution can fix that, how could you not justify it?

tintguy31794

If you need a comparison to try and drive home how important a backup hard drive can be, put it this way: "How much would it cost in labor to rebuild all of the art files that could be lost if your hard drive crashes?" The amount is probably unfathomable and downright impossible. If spending $100-$200 on a decent backup solution can fix that, how could you not justify it?

Bingo, i'm not in charge though.

klemgraphics

I just got my quote back for my recovery....$1500 and there is a good chance they can get most of it back. Sounds excessive but @ $50 per hour for design time that I have on there I would be stupid to not do it. Might try to talk them down before I tell them to go ahead. Let this be a reminder on my dime to everyone that a fool proof backup system is a necessity.:banghead:

choucove

Wow that does seem pretty high for them. When I originally talked with them on their pricing sheet it had a single hard drive (non-RAID) in the standard file formats (Fat32, NTFS, etc) that it was between $500 and $1000 depending upon the amount of data to be recovered.