• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Having a heck of a time pricing this...

rm25x

Ok so I had a call today about doing some interior signs. I have attached the logo. Just trying to get the estimate in order, and I am worried that I am going to come off way too low. Here's what needs to be done:

1. Main hall sign is 2'x3', they want Oracal Series 383 095 Gold for a background on the whole thing.
Then their logo done in 2 other colors, both 851 cast. Also will have an arrow under the logo.
Then a thin border around the logo in 851.
Last, they want it trimmed out in wood home window trim, with a cherry finish. (woodworking is not a problem, I have all the equipment and do it as a hobby)

Thinking of using Scooter board for the backer. Would something else be better?

2. Hallway sign, done same as above, only in a 18" x 12" size.

3. Sign is going above the entry door in the hallway, with the number "204" to match the other signs. They want this sign made to stick out 9" and be 4.5" tall. It will also be trimmed to match the other 2 signs.

4. They need the entry door window lettered with the logo and hours, sized 16" wide, 12" tall.

5. Last, they want the logo done in the same 851 cast on 2 windows, measuring 16" wide, 10" tall.

Here's what I am coming up with:
I figure my shop hour rate is $60/hr.
I am estimating materials at $411.00, including trim and stain.
I am estimating 1 hour design time.
I am estimating it will take 6 hours to complete the signs. I am doing this by myself, not sure how close I am on this estimate. I am not counting the 1 hour design time in this.

The other question I have is what is the best way to attach these signs to the wall as to not see any fasteners?

Thanks in advance for your help. I am trying to cover my butt this time, as it seems like the last 10 jobs I have done, I have screwed myself over with my poor estimating ability... :banghead:
I am reading on here as much as I can though so I can learn the art of the estimate. Just don't have enough time in this business yet to get a feel for it.
:thankyou:

Attachments

• ghp logo.JPG
    ghp logo.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 111

PGSigns

If you are not sure on the labor part of your estimate try writing down the entire process of making the signs from ordering the materials, cutting everything out, weeding, taping, applying, and assembly in a manner that looks like a set of instructions and start putting times down that you feel it would take for each step and see how it adds up. Now the one big thing I did not see on your list was the install. Don't forget to add that. I also add a chunk of time to each job for the cleanup it takes when done to be ready to start the next one.
Jimmy

rm25x

Ah some good points.
The instruction idea is great.
Also, yes I didn't think about the installation part of it.

J Hill Designs

if they can be installed away from the wall (not flush) a french cleat would be my choice...if flush, the larger would be tricky w/o visual mech fasteners, but the other could probably be VHB'd

Circleville Signs

My rule of thumb for pricing is usually the following formula -

2(materials)+Hrs(shop rate)+Hrs(design rate)+Hrs(install rate)+Possible PITA Fee = Final price.

Gary