• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HDPE versus HIPS - Differences?

rdm01

I've had a few quotes in the past requesting HDPE, or polyethylene. Not a material we typically work with, and not very common among our suppliers. For plastic that is similar in thickness (.055" requested) we would typically use HIPS, .060".

Has anyone used both of these? What are the advantages of HDPE over HIPS? Would I be wrong in recommending HIPS as a more cost effective alternative?

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
HIPS - High impact polystyrene. Not rated for long term outdoor use. Will yellow and get brittle of time when exposed to sunlight (UV). More consistent surface and easier to print on. A greater range of inks will bond with styrene. Generally very smooth and flat.

HDPE - High density polyethylene - Generally treated with UV inhibitors. Greater outdoor durability. Will generally not brittle or yellow over time when exposed to sunlight. In general, we find that our inks (even 3-5 year rated screen inks) will fade and get chalky before anything happens to the plastic. Harder to print on. Minimal number of inks will bond effectively. Slightly more textured surface - very minor orange peel like.

My answer would be no, you can't substitute one for the other. If you need a bid on HDPE, we would be happy to help. Please send an email with the specifications of your project.