• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP!! Color drop out issue on Seiko/Oki ColorPainter

kiler40

Hey guys,

Seeking your assistance in identifying the source of an issue.
I am experiencing what I call "drop in and out" of color -colors should be solid-( see images below).
It happens intermittently. Nozzle prints are perfect before print also.

The machine: Seiko ColorPainter H1-104s upgraded to an H2
RIP: Onyx x10
32089974_10102210318625947_8163655712027705344_n.jpg
32147973_10102210327702757_3694331053255688192_n.jpg

Kumo

How old is the printer?
It looks like contamination on the Magenta ink line. Most likely you will need to replace the ink line, magenta sub cartridge and print head at the same time.
The common symptoms are magenta dropping out, do a print head recovery, all nozzles come good, but when you do a print, the nozzles will drop out.

kiler40

How old is the printer?
It looks like contamination on the Magenta ink line. Most likely you will need to replace the ink line, magenta sub cartridge and print head at the same time.
The common symptoms are magenta dropping out, do a print head recovery, all nozzles come good, but when you do a print, the nozzles will drop out.

Its over 10 years old Kumo

Efrain

Hey guys,

Seeking your assistance in identifying the source of an issue.
I am experiencing what I call "drop in and out" of color -colors should be solid-( see images below).
It happens intermittently. Nozzle prints are perfect before print also.

The machine: Seiko ColorPainter H1-104s upgraded to an H2
RIP: Onyx x10
32089974_10102210318625947_8163655712027705344_n.jpg
32147973_10102210327702757_3694331053255688192_n.jpg
You may have a weak pump. I would try swapping pumps to verify. Also before replacing a head you could swap the M head with the light magenta and verify. First I would replace maintenance items like your Cap station. Since light magenta is faint while printing you may be able to extend the life of the heads. These printers are heavy duty so even if it is a new print head, inks and tubes is worth it. It may run another 10 years.

qure

you have few posts and threads about problems with seikos GX ink and their faulty magenta heads. its H and W series that have these problems because of the same ink that they use. also there is a problem with capping solution that destroys anti wetting coating of the nozzle plate and ink sticks to it when printing so it could be that problem. Try to run nozzle test after cleaning and then do 2 or 3 nozzle tests one after other when problems starts in print and if the "clogged nozzles" change position in test its bad printhead, and if the clogged nozzles are in the same position these two or three tests then you can send your head assy to left side and check bottom of the heads if there is a ink buildup around the nozzles then its non wetting nozzle plate that is the problem. if this is the case send me a pm to talk about it.

AtomicGraf

I am running a Colorpainter M64s and this type of issue just started happening today. I am definitely hoping to troubleshoot it before deciding to spend money I don't have. This printer was bought new in 2018. It is used and maintained regularly.
In my case the M magenta (I suppose its M because it is affecting a hot pink and darker purple color and nothing else) starts off good and after a foot or so of printing show missing print head lines until it is quite faint after several feet. In that time you see a gradual loss of printing and white lines developing. After 12 feet of printing (I walked away for a minute) I got the impression that that head was not getting much ink into it.
After getting back over the docking station it is good again.... for a bit. The other colors seem fine.
If anyone has new info or wants to help me trouble shoot please get back to me. Thanks!
Mark
ps Should this be its own topic?

Chad

Same problem here with the E64s, in Canada and the exclusive distributor hasn’t been able (not interested in ) supply ink since this time last year. Now the head dies after only 8000 feet of printing in three years. Suspect damper in the head but no info on it. Will print magenta but not anything bigger than 48” x 6”. Don’t know if anyone has info or has replaced the damper.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
The fix for this problem is typically replaces the cap.
Over time it flattens a little so it doesn't seal.
Think of it as a suction cup.
If you do a PH recovery and it looks fine but starts dropping nozzles after 5-10 foot of printing, it's a cap.
I am a dealer in NY and carry these parts in my car to make fixes quick.
Bruce