• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Help Identify this 3M Material

siphon56

Premium Subscriber
We started a phone and laptop wrap business few months ago. At first, we used 40C gloss white for UV printing. But customers complained it didn't stick well, especially at the edges and with thin vinyl cuts. We tried a different material from a similar business and it worked great. It sticks well, is thicker than 40C, and has grey adhesive with bigger controltac gaps. We're trying to figure out what 3M material this is. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_4113.jpg
IMG_4116.jpg

MikePro

+1 to above stated IJ180c-10. slightly annoying how that pattern shows through the surface after application, but its good stuff.
ij35/40c is cheap and reliable, but will not conform. we only use it on flat stuff.

siphon56

Premium Subscriber
You should try using IJ35C, it's a lot stickier than 40C and way cheaper than IJ180.
It looks like a permanent adhesive. I don't think our competitor's uses a permanent adhesive as the skins (decals) goes on to your back of the phone, using a permanent adhesive might leave residues.

siphon56

Premium Subscriber
+1 to above stated IJ180c-10. slightly annoying how that pattern shows through the surface after application, but its good stuff.
ij35/40c is cheap and reliable, but will not conform. we only use it on flat stuff.
I checked out the IJ180C, the IJ180C is very thin in compared to the one I shared into the image. Not IJ180C, we are still looking lmao.

siphon56

Premium Subscriber
I have a feeling it might be IJ160C but not sure. What are your thoughts on IJ160C? Have you used them?

ikarasu

I checked out the IJ180C, the IJ180C is very thin in compared to the one I shared into the image. Not IJ180C, we are still looking lmao.
Are you laminating it? Or are they and you're not ?

Usually for phones and stuff people use 40c or 180. It's not ij35 as that's a different backer.... To me it looks like 40c, or 180cv3.

siphon56

Premium Subscriber
Are you laminating it? Or are they and you're not ?

Usually for phones and stuff people use 40c or 180. It's not ij35 as that's a different backer.... To me it looks like 40c, or 180cv3.
No, we are not laminating, or so are they. I have tried 40c, and its adhesive is not good. It's not 40c or 180cv3, as they have micro air channels. The one in the photo has wide air channels. So, most probably it is either 180C or 160C. What do you think about 35C? Can you explain it to me a bit? Thanks

jfiscus

Rap Master
That adhesive pattern is not very even at all, I'm not sure that is legit 3M vinyl with it looking all swirly like that.
If it is thicker and has the large cross hatches I'd say IJ160c also, but I haven't had a roll here in about 4 years.

MikePro

Yes, they are and also it is hard to find. Have you tried 160C? If yes, can you tell me a bit about 160C compared to 40C?
no, i haven't tried it. id imagine its the same as ij40 but slightly better ...and still won't wrap contours with permanence.

ikarasu

No, we are not laminating, or so are they. I have tried 40c, and its adhesive is not good. It's not 40c or 180cv3, as they have micro air channels. The one in the photo has wide air channels. So, most probably it is either 180C or 160C. What do you think about 35C? Can you explain it to me a bit? Thanks
Cv3 isn't micro, it's wide channels but it's thin. 180 Mc is micro channel.

Ij35 is a permanent... That said, depends on what you using on. We use IJ 35c on anything plastic or glass, and it peels off pretty easy