• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help needed with menu design

Erin

I need some serious help/suggestions regarding a "retro" looking design for a menu cover. I looked into having someone on here do the design for me but my boss didn't go for it. I've been struggling with this for a while now...and this is the best I can come up with.
I know it's not good so I'm hoping some of you guys/gals can help me out and point me in the right direction.

Any help and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• menu1.jpg
    menu1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 129

Jillbeans

Looks fine.
I think I would try to find a clip art car to go with the clip art gal but it's really no biggie.
Love....Jill

Erin

are you guys serious? Have I just been looking at it too long...or are you guys just trying to push me along so I won't bother you anymore?

neato

lol...now GO AWAY!

No, really, it's eye catching and looks good. Definitely a nice modern retro feel.

luggnut

i'm with jill, the different types of clipart (photos and vectors) is a little strange, but overall it looks good. did you design the logo in the center or was it supplied?

i don't like it that much.

the cleanup around the top piece of art (the diner sign) it looks to have some rough edges, did you erase the background in photoshop, and it looks like it might have been low resolution pic... hard to tell though with it so small

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Is that the actual logo in the middle? Can it be messed with a little?

It looks like a mash up of clip art on a background. It's retro, but the homogenized retro you would see at Walmart. There are 3 kinds of Retro design, one is being true to the design styles form and some customers will not get it, this version of I'm going to kick you in the nads, over the top retro image pasting, and somewhere in between.

Since they are already in a diner, do they really need diner imagery? Does the diner have a theme other than retro diner and could you tone it down to match the diners personality?

On the comments of vector and photo, it might help not to mix the 2 or run it through a filter or 2, some might find a the busty waitress with manish facial features hot, but the odd hand sticking out looks a little freaky. I would tone down the look, redo the logo if possible, and add some of the diners personality....

54warrior

I don't like how only one of the arrows is 'lit' on the diner sign at top. Other than that and the other suggestions ppl have made, it looks really nice to me.

GoodPeopleFlags

I don't like how "Diner" is on it twice. The Diner at the top is bigger than the name so I'd change that. The background "burst" looks stretched to me. And the clipart thing. But all of that is if you just want me to find something to change! I liked it at first glance.

SignManiac

I like the selection of elements you're working with but the only thing that's distracting to my eye is all of the angles fighting each other. It lacks composition in that the eye doesn't know where to start reading first.

Yeah you could print it but I think you're right to improve on it, especially if you aren't personally satisfied with it yet.

Try working with the arrangement some more to improve the flow and priority of the message. Hope that helps some.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
We have a million 50's diners here, most 50's diners being redone are actually 20's diners with a 50's re-interpretation. Remember the 20's were "retro" in the 50's.

50's diners are the googie style like your menu.

Having taken a quick peek at the place, there is supposed to be a Hollywood flair to it, the architecture is not 50's diner style and neither is the interior unless the pics have not been updated. Anyways, taking the Hollywood them, in the 20's retro re-interpreted 50's style I came up with this... a touch of retro. Then inside you can add a touch of simple images, color and texture to add to the 50's style or Hollywood idea...

It looks like that is the logo you are stuck with, I did not know the type so I just did a quickie of it to give you an idea...

Attachments

• ROXY-WOOD.jpg
    ROXY-WOOD.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 92
  • ROXY-2-PATTERN.jpg
    ROXY-2-PATTERN.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 94
  • roxy-woodage.jpg
    roxy-woodage.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 96

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Try toning down that background image. Make it lighter so it does not compete with everything else here or have it fade into a white or lighter shade

weaselboogie

I like the selection of elements you're working with but the only thing that's distracting to my eye is all of the angles fighting each other. It lacks composition in that the eye doesn't know where to start reading first.

EXACTLY. There's no flow. Initially, it looks cluttery, but I think if this had more design to it, it would really work.