• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Here's a head scratcher for you Omega users.

threeputt

Ok, finally updated and got 2.61 loaded. But where before I could enter text in Omega, export as .ai, and open that text in Adobe PhotoShop 7.0, I can no longer do it.

I've tried exporting simple shapes as a test and they'll open fine in PS. So I thought maybe it had something to do with the text itself. So I removed Text Smart Edit so it would see the text as shapes...but no luck.

ANY help would be appreciated.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
First thing that comes to mind is that it may be a higher version of EPS than it was before and that PS 7 can't read it.

Bob Gilliland

Threeputt,

Within the Export/Save/Save As dialog, the listing of “Save as type” offers two different eps and ai formats; the ones listed toward the top are Gerber in-house developed filters and are labeled as such; EPS – (GSP) Encapsulated Postscript File and AI – (GSP) Adobe Illustrator File. The two towards the bottom are, I believe, licensed from a now defunct third party vendor. They are simple listed as EPS – Encapsulated Postscript File and AI – (GSP) Adobe Illustrator File.

Select the AI – Adobe Illustrator File file type, then select Options from the right side of the dialog. Towards the bottom left of the resulting AI/EPS Output Filter Setup dialog is the option for version 3, 5, 6, or 7.

I concur with those above; saving back to an earlier file format version should correct the issue. Not positive without some additional checking, but probably related to the newer versions of the format being pdf based and PS 7 not supporting such formatting. :smile:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'd be surprised if Omega provided such a capability. I can tell you that they claim to be compatible with all but the latest versions of Illustrator and PDF so you might be looking at having to upgrade your Photoshop.

I'm only running Omega 2.1 but if you want to send me your EPS I'll check to see if it opens in Photoshop CS2 and will save it back for you to EPS 3 from Illustrator CS2 for you.

This kind of nonsense is the huge hidden expense of upgrading.

Bob Gilliland

As a quick follow-up, you can convert files already created without having to open them in Composer as well. There is utility included with the Omega suite called File Converter. Launch the utility, then File>Export, select the file(s) to be converted, select the Export file type, set the Options desired, then Export. Always a great option if you know the contents of the file and simply desire to put into another format and not waste time opening it inside Composer. Can also be a great time savor since it allows for batch processing.

threeputt

Fred, you're exactly right. Omega doesn't make it easy. Or doable for that matter.

Bob, your first idea didn't work. But, aha, the second idea of using the file converter DID work. So you've helped me find a work-around. I'm going to have to buy a copy of CS2 or CS3 I guess, as Omega 2.6 doesn't appear to be compatible with PS7.0 (at least in the file exporting dept.) which is pretty old, I'll admit.

ndemond

As a quick follow-up, you can convert files already created without having to open them in Composer as well. There is utility included with the Omega suite called File Converter. Launch the utility, then File>Export, select the file(s) to be converted, select the Export file type, set the Options desired, then Export. Always a great option if you know the contents of the file and simply desire to put into another format and not waste time opening it inside Composer. Can also be a great time savor since it allows for batch processing.

Thank you Bob, I did not know that (guess I should have read the manual 2 years ago.):rolleyes:

threeputt

Quick note to just say what a great place this forum is. Thanks to Bob and Fred and others who are so gracious so as to contribute.