• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

High Impact Acrylic or Polycarbonate?

M

MANNING

We sold 2 - 8' x 12' Embossed Pan Faces last year. That company closed this past summer and a new company is moving in. The last faces were polycarbonate and they flex in and out any time the wind was blowing. I was very worried they were going to blow out, plus it looked terrible. So is acrylic any better? I no it cost less. I want a quality product thats not going to cause me a headache later. Also, what thickness?

cgsigns_jamie

Most all of our pan faces are High Impact Acrylic (X-15). The largest we've done are 6' x 12'.
They have been up for about 10 years and still look good. The nice thing about cast acrylic is it won't yellow with time.

The acrylic is a lot heavier than polycarbonate so that may help with the flexing.

An 8' x 12' would be a big face... something that big we would probably look at a flex face.

Wes Phifer

Acrylic is usually thicker and it is heavier. I will stand up better and stay more staionary. It also will break easier. I always liked the weight diffeerence for install and service. If is very hard to break the poly. I use poly and put a hanging bar at the top. I have done 8x12 that work fine. The poly is getting better about yellowing just make sure that the UV protected side is out. I have some 10 year old ones that still look great.