• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you contour cut a raster image?

J

john1

I have been doing mostly vector prints with my versacamm but now have a customer wanting a laptop lid skin and some in memory decals with a photograph.

I get that i design these in 300dpi actual size in photoshop but when i import the image to illustrator for the cut line it's alot bigger than the actual size cut line of course.

What do i do from here to contour cut a image?

Thanks!

Edserv

You can't cut a rastor image. It must be converted or re-designed as a vector or ai file.
thanks,
Chris

Farmboy

He's not trying to cut a raster image. He's trying to contour cut it after it's been printed. I could help out if you were using Corel. We do these almost every day. I'm sure someone who uses Illy will chime in.

jasonx

Place your raster image in illustrator. Get your pen tool or whatever you want in illustrator and trace around the edge of the image. Assign the stroke to CutContour Spot colour and send off to versaworks.

TheSnowman

+1 here. I have to just make another layer that will be my cut layer, name a spot color "CutContour" draw what I need, and send it to Onyx.

J

john1

I got that guys but what do i do once i design the file 300dpi actual size high res then when i import it into illy for the cut line the image is WAY too big. The cut line is let's say 15"x9" and the high res file imports in at about 3 times the size.

Thanks for all the help so far!

J

john1

well i had a super brain fart! I was exporting a JPG not a PDF in 300dpi and now it's working fine.

Thanks for the tips!

Border

In Photoshop, you can create a duplicate layer of all the elements combined, merge them and change them all to the same color, then select by that color range and create a path from the selection. Then choose "export paths to illustrator and place that path around your raster image and apply the "CutContour" stroke to it. Give it a little bleed if needed to acheive your desired results.

Something like that! Everyone's got their own magical formula.