• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you set up to print 52' trailer wrap

Signed Out

Alright... ready to print a 52' trailer wrap... Never had to tile something of this size before. Normally I would bring the artwork into photoshop and split it up with the overlapps and save as tiffs and print but being as this is 624 inches im am not sure on how to do this. ( CS5 . Versaworks . roland xj540 ) the artwork is at 10th scale and was created in illustrater. Should I tile in photoshop at 10th scale, then, in versaworks scale to 1000%? Or do I do it all in photoshop? I have yet to use the crop and tile feature in versaworks and am open to doing it that way but would need a little instructing, and dont know if I could put in the overlapps in versa. How would you do this?

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have a couple methods we use... Via Photoshop or Corels powerclip tool

1) If trailer is a solid panel trailer (no seams) or corrugated we panel front to rear with the smallest panel at the rear of the trailer with a 1/2" (or whatever you are comfortable with) overlap, Always install opposite though.

2) If trailer has vertical panels we measure every panel and tile our graphics with .25" bleeds to those panels to make a seamless install. This allows you to install in any direction (We usually start from the middle to prevent any slanting or "walking").

Again we do this all in photoshop or corel draw (simply because illustrator has a page limit) at full scale (to prevent scaling errors in the rip).

Christian @ 2CT Media

I have a HP Latex with Onyx, I don't know much about rolands versaworks package... I have had issues with Onyx scaling being off so I just avoid it and feed full scale files into the rip.

Signed Out

yea I think im just gonna do it full scale in photoshop seems like the best way, only thing is at full size at 150ppi the file is 3.99g before i start tiling

Christian @ 2CT Media

For a Trailer the general consensus is 60 - 72dpi is more than sufficient.

We personally don't go below 150 but we have a very fast computer (i7-2700k) and lots of memory (32gb).

Signed Out

what quality setting do you print at normaly we print wraps at standard quality (540x720dpi) but i am thinking i want to print this at high speed (360x720dpi) which will save me 8 minutes per panel which would save me around 3.5 hours of printing total

HulkSmash

I'd print nothing less then 720, but, that's just me. Also you can size it up 1000 percent no problem, and then add your bleed in your rip...

Signed Out

also if you wouldn't mine pm me what you would charge for a job like this I am curious to see where I am at on my price, if not its cool. regardless thanks for the advice.

Pat Whatley

Just thought I'd mention that I know somebody who wrapped an old semi-trailer with the corrugated sides. Made it all the way to the end of the first side before he realized his layout was 2' short because of the extra material the corrugations took up.

Signed Out

sorry I forgot to mention no corrugations just seams where the panel overlapp and more than 8500 rivets... its gonna be a fun weekend...

Signed Out

so... what does everyone use for rivets we currently use rolle pro and torch and as long as we get the channel nice and tight to the row of rivets it works awesome

Rooster

If it's in Illustrator, set up your artboards to be your panels and whatever you spec for bleed will be automatically applied to all the panels. Butt the artboards up side by side and drop your artwork on top. Then you can save the panels out individually as a PDF of EPS by clicking the use artboard button at the bottom of the save window below where you name your files.

Your overlap will be twice whatever you set the bleed to be, since it's bleeding both panels into each other. 1/2" bleed (at full size) becomes 1" of overlap when both panels match up together.