• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long did your Colorado printhead last

jjsportz

I have a Oce/Canon Colorado 1650 roll to roll printer. I have about 250,000 sqft printed and need a new print head. I also have 2 more heads that I will probably have to replace within the next 6months/yr.

What are your experiences with this?

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We have gone through a few with just a little more volume. Keep to your maintenance schedule for sure.

victor bogdanov

I'm at 325k sqft and so far I have not seen any degradation in quality, haven't even done nozzle optimization once. About 110 liters of ink used total but my yellow heads are 25% more ink used than other colors.

I clean weekly at least, sometimes 2x per week if printing more and 0 head strikes (I've had few lamp strikes). Coming up on a year of ownership and just singed a service contract that includes 1 head a year plus head discount. Tech said he's seen heads last a "very long time" but emphasized how important maintenance and avoiding head strikes is.

victor bogdanov

I'm curious what signs do you see that suggest a head is going bad or needs replacement soon? Is it canon running a diagnostic on the head?

The printhead cost per sq/ft seems to be around $.03 so at 250sq ft you would've used up $8250 of printheads which goes right along with a couple heads needing replacement.

Last edited:

jjsportz

I'm curious what signs do you see that suggest a head is going bad or needs replacement soon? Is it canon running a diagnostic on the head?

The printhead cost per sq/ft seems to be around $.03 so at 250sq ft you would've used up $8250 of printheads which goes right along with a couple heads needing replacement.
We knew it was bad because of us seeing a line going through a simple cyan banner. We tried different materials, still saw the same line. According to Canon we have 2 others bad, but until I can see them bad in the print, Im just running with them.