• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how long do you guarantee your wraps????

max

question for all wrap guys and gals out there... it seems as though every wrap that i see around town has areas where the vinyl is starting to lift on edges and come out of concave areas. i have seen a couple that look good but i believe it is because they were just installed very recently.
i have taken a wrap class and have practiced it alot and feel confident i can satisfy any customer. however i am quite sure the wrap vinyl that i install will start to let loose after 6 or 8 months down the road as all other wraps i see have done.
so it leads me to believe that due to the nature of wrap vinyl, there is no way i can guarantee a wrap for any period of time.
so wondering if all you professional wrappers are able to guarantee your vinyl will not begin to let loose for a certain period of time... or do you just inform your customers that wraps are meant to be temporary and to expect the vinyl to begin to lift after a certain time period.
hope i am not offending anyone.. just wondering

wildside

we don't do very many wraps anymore, because the market fell out , but to your question

what you are seeing is poor quality materials being used for the cheapest route, a good material will last, but at a cost, and around here that cost is too great so we just avoid the cheapo's

we guarantee all vehicle graphics for one year only because people are hard on them and will do stupid things and then expect you to cover it 5 years from now

rjssigns

Taillight Guarantee: When I can no longer see your taillights there is no more guarantee.

I do however tell them I will check the work periodically and if they have issues to contact me right away. Other than that I make sure they understand they are buying temporary advertising not the Mona Lisa.

I am sure I will get bashed by other shops but I don't care. Do what you want. What works for one demographic does not universally apply.

Also read this:http://www.differencebetween.net/business/difference-between-guarantee-and-warranty/

HulkSmash

1 year install warranty, 3 years on fades and cracks from the sun, only on vertical surfaces -- we don't warranty any horizontal surfaces

96XP

Hard to offer guarantee if customer is doing by themselves. However for longevity, a clear coat will do wonders. Only problem thereafter is changing the scene as it's been buried under the clear. (been there, done that)
That all said, if it's a good customer and they are easy to work with, I usually help them out however and wherever I can. "If they look good, I look good" and that goes a long way.

HulkSmash

no offence, but if something you wrap comes off in 8 months, you're in the wrong business. We have wraps out some over 5 years, all look beautiful. Of course some have some ware on them, but not because of install...

max

So most are saying that they will repair or replace any lifting or peeling for up to one year after install. i guess if you let them know up front that it is meant to be temporary.... then what can they say after a year...

Last edited:

HulkSmash

So most are saying that they will repair or replace any lifting or peeling for up to one year after install. i guess if you let them know up front that it is meant to be temporary.... then what can they say after a year...

well do you wrap with calendered vinyl?

max

well all i am saying is i have walked up to and looked at probably 100 wraps, and every single one of them had atleast 2 problem areas. most of them way more than 2...
i get many inquiries about wrapping vehicles but am somewhat scared to tackle one due to being afraid of a call back after 6 months about this and that small vinyl issue.
and of course not gonna wrap with cal....

cdiesel

Learn how to install correctly and use good materials. IF you do both of these you won't see problems. If you do not do both of these you will see problems. Sure, you may get lucky from time to time, but the majority of your jobs will fail.

We warranty workmanship for three years. Horizontal surfaces get a one year material warranty, and vertical surfaces three years. We rarely have to fix anything that we've done, but we fix quite a bit of stuff that comes out of competitor's shops.

ProWraps

show me a year old, hell 6 month old PERFECT wrap, and Ill hire you, and buy your company.

these are not cryptonite folks. they wear like clothes.

this is not to say that you shouldnt do your install correctly and to whatever manufacturers tech bulletin that you subscribe to.

but news flash. wraps dont look perfect until 5 years and 1 minute then fall off the vehicle.

and trust me, my sh*t leaves here obsessively perfect.

cdiesel

Agree with Chris 100%. Good installers are VERY few and far between.

You have to give two chits about how YOUR work looks, and you have to have the ability to install correctly. Two things that aren't common.

If a wrap is going to fail it will usually show signs immediately <within 48 hours>. I'm talking install here, not material defect.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
if I wrapped something I would probably say 6-12 months. never had one come back so I guess it would just have to be a 'depends' sort of answer. most of the time with edge prep, edge sealer and proper wrapping techniques unless the failure is with the actual material it should last a year or 3 no problem (again depends since as someone else said, customers are hard on their own **** and don't want to say 'yeah ... i did take it down a rock path at 90 mph behind a dirt bike')

HulkSmash

If a wrap is going to fail it will usually show signs immediately <within 48 hours>. I'm talking install here, not material defect.

This.

The most common failure points in my experience are the bottom sides of wraps where the rocks hit, water splash, and salt gets under (here in denver in winter) It's the nature of the beast. As chris said, when it leaves our shop, it's perfect - normal wear and tear is expected.. especially if the person doesn't take care of the wrap.

We give a 2 year warranty, with do's and don't instructions. If it happens that the film still lifts, we work out a solution with the customer, that we can both live with. Out of about 100 wraps we had less than 5 complaints. (Those were solved, and the customer is still coming to us!) All good quality films that are given the right amount of heat in the trouble spots will stick. JR

Mikeifg

It really comes down to how well the customer takes care of the vehicle. Especially northern climates with snow ice etc.. nobody has the time anymore to take care of anything. I've seen wraps ive done where it looks like they havent washed it in 6 months. If you do the best install, Then it's on the customer from there.