• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long should a DX7 Head Last?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I know this is a question with many variables but at what time or sq/ft would you expect to need a head replacement? I'm not looking for a definitive answer, just a range.
I'm getting banding now and have to clean it more often than the past. It has a few deflected nozzles but not many. Now that I ask this..... I've never replaced the dampers, duh that is probably it. I'd still like to know what others are seeing in laymans terms for printhead life. Printer is a CJV150

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The official lifetime of a DX7 head is 6 billion fires which isn't a very helpful number. In general we see DX7s last about 3 to 5 years using solvent ink. Dye sub seems to lower life expectancy to 18 months to 3 years. Of course I've seen heads last 10+ years and some fail before a year but in a 9 to 5 shop, 3 to 5 years should be what to expect.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"

i didn't read it all, but there could be an answer in there

Notarealsignguy

The official lifetime of a DX7 head is 6 billion fires which isn't a very helpful number. In general we see DX7s last about 3 to 5 years using solvent ink. Dye sub seems to lower life expectancy to 18 months to 3 years. Of course I've seen heads last 10+ years and some fail before a year but in a 9 to 5 shop, 3 to 5 years should be what to expect.
9-5 like printer running full bore? I only have around 100k sq/ft on mine if that means anything? It is 5 years old. Is there a way to pull up the number of fires in the menu? I have always used OEM ink too and keep a cleaning cartridge in it.
I bought the dampers from you awhile ago but have been too lazy to change them.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
9-5 like printer running full bore? I only have around 100k sq/ft on mine if that means anything? It is 5 years old. Is there a way to pull up the number of fires in the menu? I have always used OEM ink too and keep a cleaning cartridge in it.
I bought the dampers from you awhile ago but have been too lazy to change them.
By 9 - 5 I mean a regular shop that prints at most 1 shift per day and not a 3 shift operation. You can go into the Information menu in user mode and then hit enter on the Usage menu. That will show you linear media printed and also square footage but not nozzle fires for some frustrating reason.

Notarealsignguy

By 9 - 5 I mean a regular shop that prints at most 1 shift per day and not a 3 shift operation. You can go into the Information menu in user mode and then hit enter on the Usage menu. That will show you linear media printed and also square footage but not nozzle fires for some frustrating reason.
Mine averages about 4-5 hours a day. How hard is it to change the heads in these and get them all dialed back in? I've done DX4s in my old roland, only tricky part was getting the heads aligned but it had a stripped screw which didn't help.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Mine averages about 4-5 hours a day. How hard is it to change the heads in these and get them all dialed back in? I've done DX4s in my old roland, only tricky part was getting the heads aligned but it had a stripped screw which didn't help.
These heads are fairly easy for someone who's used to installing heads. Since there's only one head, you don't have to align it to other heads which lowers the difficulty greatly. The only physical adjustment is the slant and the rest is regular ol' bi-directional alignments. The Mimaki also has valves that close when the machine is turned off so you don't have to do a long and expensive ink fill after installing which is nice. The cables can be difficult to get in because they don't give you a lot of room.

micadesign

he can print a list report. that gives him all infos...

victor bogdanov

I had a DX7 head in my roland last 10 billion shots which was about 8 years for than printer working 4hrs per day 5 days per week.

To get the nozzle fire info I had to get into the service menu