• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to print 2-sided banner on dig printer?

bayviewsignworks

I have a VP-300. How do I print 2 sides so they back up correctly? If I use the lead edge, is there a way to flip the print using the same file?

B Snyder

I know this has been explained here before. If you do a search you'll probably find it.

Unless its a 24" tall banner, I just print 2 banners and have fellers sew them together.

B Snyder

you could also set up the file so the design is printed one after the other, then fold it in half and hem it.

Rising

Sub it out? why?

If some else's roll to roll can do it, so can yours!

It would be helpful if your design had a bit of blank space toward the edge of the banner edge. You should be able to tell near enough where the print starts for it to be able to line up, or there abouts. You should also use block banner of course.

The only problem you might get is that the already printed side may get scuffed, especially if full coverage.

If I had to sub out any of my digital print I would be rather upset, since I have a machine myself.

Mosh

You also need to re-rip the design rotated 180 or when you put the roll in the printer it will be upsidedown. Let the first side dry overnight. Print two banners and hemm them together, way faster and easier to alighn!

WB

You also need to re-rip the design rotated 180 or when you put the roll in the printer it will be upsidedown. Let the first side dry overnight. Print two banners and hemm them together, way faster and easier to alighn!

No you won't if you roll the banner back correctly it shoudl be the same. If the tops prints 1st and you re-roll and flip it over it should still be the top..

I print D/S all the time on our JV3's

Before you print send a few small files and measure how far you machine prints from the edge of the material, Also check and see how much it feeds forward before it starts printing. I print one side let it dry for a day, then I'll take a straight edge and mark on the side of the banner material where the start of the print is. Transfer that mark to the oppiste side, and line it up so that when you hit print thats where the printer starts. I find it also helps to over size 1 file slightly, this will help ensure you get the finished size your looking for..

Mosh

If you roll it back up and TURN THE ROLL AROUND and load it the design will be upside down.

Print two banners, hemm together and grommet.

WB

well if you re-roll from the start of the print then yes.. But if you just back up your roll on your machine and the flip your roll around then no.. I do this for singles If I'm doing several I'll re-roll the material on a new roll so save to re-processing time.

Don't forget to leave abit extra on roll if you cut the banner off, the printer will need it to feed the material through.

Mosh

Don't forget to leave abit extra on roll if you cut the banner off, the printer will need it to feed the material through.

This why I leave it on the roll and just flip the rip.

WB

yeah, but if your printing serveral different large files the rip times can be a killer. Every year I print 20 4'x8' D/S banners for an awards show and each one is different. Sometimes the designers go abit crazy and do unnecessarily large files. Re-ripping takes to long.. But hey, every job is different and as long as the jobs go out the door I'm happy! ;)

Rising

Mosh, WB, its not a batlle fellas. I can see both points are very valid. Double handling can be a pain especially if a long banner, getting it staright back on a roll as to be able to flip.

Mosh If producing banners that need a neat finish, like projecting banners on wire set ups for expo's and the like then double skinners arent great.

WB. Do you get any problems with scuffing when you flip em?

Steve

WB

Rising, I haven't had any issues with scuffing, Like I said I like to let the banners dry for at least a day before printing the other side.. 1 Thing I have had happen is the 2nd side sticking to the 1st side due to over saturation and the print not drying 100% before it hit the take up roll..

Rising

nnn yeah, thats good no scuffin. must try it. We have printed DS banners down the same route Mosh says, print fold, sew, but would only for lower end of market, builders and the like.

Eh anither thing, when finishing banners, and sat on face to hem, gotta be careful not to scuff em then too, no? We run a lovely JV33.

Steve

WB

We have had a hard time getting large banners hemmed.. We sub it out and the guy is really good at sewing just not really aware of what happens to printer material if you drag it across the ground and tables..

We have since bought an industrail sewing machine.. I must say.. It's alot harder then it looks. This machine moves so fast it scares me, keep your fingers out of the way!!!

Slamdunkpro

We print a fair number of 2 sided banners.

The best success I have is by

• Letting the banner fully dry
  • Turning the heat way down when printing the second side
  • Take an awl or sewing needle and poke a hole on the left(as you look at the printer) corner of the banner, when you roll it back and flip it, line up the vinyl so that it's square in the machine, then move the vinyl back so that the index marker (the cutter on Rolands) is directly over the hole; set that as a base point and print (DO NOT run the banner centered on the media)