• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to properly dispose of neon signs?

C

ColoPrinthead

Can anyone here enlighten me as to whether there is a proper way to dispose of unbroken neon signs? Is it safe to just toss it in a dumpster?

TIA

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Can anyone here enlighten me as to whether there is a proper way to dispose of unbroken neon signs? Is it safe to just toss it in a dumpster?

TIA

That's a good question. Every sign shop I've seen tosses it in the garbage...or collects it outside in their backyard along with every other sign they've taken down since opening their business.

I think I usually just keep them in the sign when I take them to the scrap yard and let them deal with it.

The Sign Goddess

Vinyl Slayer by trade
Due to the mercury, we recycle it just like fluorescent bulbs. We do service signs so we have a recycler that comes to our shop to pick up.

KMC

Graphic Artist
not all of them will have mercury in it but then again its always better to be safe (but the amount of mercury will be less than whats in a thermometer) they only add that to make the neon or argon pop

as for neon or argon gas they are non toxic