• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you do this?

ucmj22

Ive never made a sign this large, it's an 10'X20' oval aluminum composite sign made from (4) 5X10 panels. The question I have is, How would you frame up the back? I made a template of what I was thinking, and an image of the sign itself. does this seem normal, or am I way off?

Attachments

• oval frame.jpg
    oval frame.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 167
  • ASO.jpg
    ASO.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 120
myself, i would make a very shallow non illuminated "cabinet" and then you could use vertical stringers and all the framework/support will be hidden.

there are multiple ways to do this depending on budget, final installation, etc. my first choice would be as described above if budget, etc., allowed.

HulkSmash

myself, i would make a very shallow non illuminated "cabinet" and then you could use vertical stringers and all the framework/support will be hidden.

there are multiple ways to do this depending on budget, final installation, etc. my first choice would be as described above if budget, etc., allowed.

This is your best option.

ucmj22

Ive never made a cabinate before. What would this consist of? We have never done any fabrication.

is this a job or a bid?

anyways. what i would do is build an aluminum cabinet the same shape as the face, very easy with this shape. i would make the cabinet the same depth as my vertical stringers. secure face to cabinet&stringers and i'd wrap the edge of the face with trimcap just to make it 'pretty'.

i'd leave the back of the cabinet exposed (no backer) because there is no reason to include it (reduce materials/reduce expense).

if you've already sold this job and the budget doesnt allow a 'cabinet'...i would probably cut backer panels that were staggered differently than the face panel ( i've done this out of 3/4" mdo 2 sheets deep before for a similar project and it gave it some depth and was rigid enough to install..but i would MUCH rather fabricate a cabinet).