• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you make this safety/privacy divider?

gnubler

Hi all - looking for some ideas and suggestions on how you would produce a divider like this. Will be mounted into a channel along the floor and attached to the counter/desk on one side. Dimensions about 3 ft wide x 6 ft tall. Contour cut acrylic similar as shown, with full color nature scenes. I haven't gone on a site visit yet because they're still wrapping up construction, but this is the general concept of the project.
Scenic Dividers.jpg

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Seems like acrylic would work, except for the cracking part. Maybe polycarb if they want it durable when people lean on it. Could also go 6 to 12mm PVC, but it is kind of soft (easy to shape).
Those aluminum extrusions look like they are just begging to get caught on clothes or bags. In the movies, you'd see that and you know someone ( the villain) is going to end up with one sticking out of their chest after being shoved onto it by the hero. I'd try to talk them into bringing the lower edge all the way down onto or parallel to the carpet.

GB2

Old Member
I'm not sure what you are asking, you seem to ask how to produce it and then tell how you're going to produce it......I would do that out of some heavier frosted acrylic, at least 3/8" preferably 1/2" or better. It would be CNC cut and attached in the manner you describe. The prints don't look translucent so they would just be printed on vinyl and applied. I'm just wondering how are you going to attach that to the columns?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I duno...looks neat but that is too busy for my taste. Would be cleaner to just have it frosted.
that said, the graphics can be cool... and you seem to have a good idea on what you want to do. either direct print on acrylic panels and CNC cut, or, print on vinyl, and apply to the CNC cut panels. I have not a clue on how to install it...but your asking for production. and what GAC said... lot's of elements in the suggested image, that would create snagging.

gnubler

I'd try to talk them into bringing the lower edge all the way down onto or parallel to the carpet.
No need, the customer already requested they be mounted right onto the floor. I'm thinking some kind of bumper or cap around the bottom where it sits on the ground to protect it from errant feet, vacuum cleaners, etc. Thanks for all the ideas. Going on a site visit this week to check out the construction, it's a brand new facility.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
No need, the customer already requested they be mounted right onto the floor. I'm thinking some kind of bumper or cap around the bottom where it sits on the ground to protect it from errant feet, vacuum cleaners, etc. Thanks for all the ideas. Going on a site visit this week to check out the construction, it's a brand new facility.
Trip hazard. $$$$

gnubler

This one is back, and is probably about to become a job. Three 36x72" dividers, and since I can't find frosted acrylic 3/8" anywhere I'm thinking of applying frosted/etched film, then laying printed vinyl on top. Any brand suggestions of vinyl for a job like this?

Johnny Best

Cut your shape, polish the edges, apply vinyl etch to second surface where needed then apply printed graphic with 10mill lexan lamination so as to keep it protected from scuffs from being on floor level.

gnubler

I had planned on applying vinyl on both sides of the acrylic...these will be projecting from reception desks and will be viewed from both sides, so have to be identical on both sides.

gnubler

Yes indeed, so would have to apply vinyl after the shapes are cut out to get mirrored images to line up as closely as possible on either side. That's my thought anyway.

Johnny Best

Going to be hard lining up since it is 3/8” thick acrylic. But with all the etch it might help divert the eye at different angles.