• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Hp 54 cutter has anyone seen this happen before?

CKCUSTOMKC

My cutter is rewsing the registration marks just fine untill it gets to the spot in the video.... any help would be wonderful, I can't seem to figure it out

CKCUSTOMKC

And did you replace the network cable with a shielded one...?

yes I did, not I have a different thing happening on top of the video above. my cutter is reading the full length of the media but not all the registration marks,this is not the only one its doing it to either. it will register the first mark next to the barcode in the lower right, then read the entire line of marks except the last one, it will skip the last one and move to the other side, read the first then it does what is shown in the video above

balstestrat

Problem Solver
This is just my wild guess but maybe you don't have enough of empty bottom edge on your vinyl and that makes the program crash.
Do you have autoload enabled? Does it do the length check in the beginning?
I don't remember exactly how this part goes, does the machine even know the length at this point or not.

I would also reduce the velocity, it can be lifting up the material from the sensor and possibly sometimes make the job end suddenly.
What if you try to tape over the material sensor before loading and see what happens?

If you swap this particular job 180° around, does it do the same thing?

CKCUSTOMKC

This is just my wild guess but maybe you don't have enough of empty bottom edge on your vinyl and that makes the program crash.
Do you have autoload enabled? Does it do the length check in the beginning?
I don't remember exactly how this part goes, does the machine even know the length at this point or not.

I would also reduce the velocity, it can be lifting up the material from the sensor and possibly sometimes make the job end suddenly.
What if you try to tape over the material sensor before loading and see what happens?

If you swap this particular job 180° around, does it do the same thing?
ok so I rotated the media and ran the job backwards, since it was a square panel it did not matter. I also added a bit of a tail to the media, i think you were right and the length was throwing it off a bit, but to all of that, I have no idea still why I was experiencing the error in the videos above,

currently I am running off of usb and updated firmware, so there is not really a way for me to pinpoint the error unless I have the problems again, heres hoping I dont,, however if i find the solve for this issue ill be sure to follow up

balstestrat

Problem Solver
If you are using the barcode it never matters what way you run the jobs. It will always cut the right way.

But if my theory is right, you had just a little too short leader on it -> cutter checks the length -> starts checking the marks but it can't go to the end and the program fails to a error that you see.

Just my theory.

zopylote

how long is the vinyl or what size is the print? did you print in a hp latex printer? if you printed in a latex printer and take up roll tension was to tight, check the size of your physical printing vs the original size... because the vinyl tends to go little bigger on latex printers in large files (because the heat and cure) , lets say if your file is 15ft long your final result can be 15ft and half inch... when the cutter try to read the registration marks the last ones are off of the cutter eye... probably your case

jtiii

Beautiful day, great to be alive!
If you are using the barcode it never matters what way you run the jobs. It will always cut the right way.
This is important to know and comes in handy if you've ever cut your material off without leaving enough leader.
Also it's a good thing it does, otherwise you'd have quite the hassle cutting material you just ran through the laminator!!

CKCUSTOMKC

UPDATE! Thanks all for the feed back, it turns out it was a leader issue, I flipped the job and ran it and it ran just fine thank you all for your help

CKCUSTOMKC

But if my theory is right, you had just a little too short leader on it -> cutter checks the length -> starts checking the marks but it can't go to the end and the program fails to a error that you see.

Just my theory.
thats great to know for the future! thank for all your help

dmgdesign

Its doing that because your print isnt cut off straight and square at the end. See how there is only a small amount of media after the barcode on the left side but on the right theres way more? Well because of that janky cut, there must be more trailing media right where the media sensor is on the right hand side. It hasnt detected the end of the print yet, but its actually past the end on the left side.

Last edited:

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Its doing that because your print isnt cut off straight and square at the end. See how there is only a small amount of media after the barcode on the left side but on the right theres way more? Well because of that janky cut, there must be more trailing media right where the media sensor is on the right hand side. It hasnt detected the end of the print yet, but its actually past the end on the left side.
But if the cutter hasn't even detected that it ended why would it do that????
Your explanation doesn't make any sense.

dmgdesign

There wasnt enough excess material after the rear barcode, you need enough excess for the pinch rollers to hold onto while the sensor reads the last registration point. If your cut was straight and square and there wasnt enough excess then you would have got an error either when it initially measured the length before it started looking for rego points, or when it went to read the last right side point and it detected the end of print before it got to the expected rego point location.

However, because of the janky cut, the media rolled past the end because in the section where the sensor is, there was more excess than the sections where some of the pinch rollers were.

The reason it worked properly when you turned the print around is because the front cut is straight and close to square. When the clean cut is at the back, the media sensor detects the end of print accurately as its consistent all the way across.