• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 700w roll management - how do you keep track of how much roll is left?

BigNate

Hello, for those who use the HP, is there a way to have the printer keep track of how much roll is left? we made the serious upgrade from an aqueous Canon to the latex, and we love the prints... however, I am finding I really miss how well the Canon managed the rolls, especially how much media was still loaded.

BigNate

ours came with the Onyx rip - and the machine has never asked how long a roll is... I could not find the option, but I will keep looking. We have a tech coming to install new firmware, I will also ask him.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It is for sure in the loading screen. This is from the guide.

When the roll is first loaded onto the printer, you have the option (in the Load Configuration screen) to enter
the length of substrate on the roll. The amount of substrate that is subsequently used is then tracked.

When the substrate is unloaded, the front panel displays the amount remaining so that you can note it for
future reference. (Only with next upcoming firmware update! Now you have to look it up before unloading.)

Take a marker, write the length on the corner.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
I use 100' rolls.
So I send approximately 30, 36" jobs to the printer when it's done printing I might add a few more depending on what's left.
Or start the next roll and save the butt roll for one off's

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Wait, so on the 560, you hit unload and it just sits there displaying the remaining length, so even if you forget and walk away it's still there to record on the roll. On this one you have to check prior to unloading or that info is lost essentially? Two steps forward, one step backwards it would seem.

What would be useful for smaller run printers is to record the material type and length, so if I'm loading that one roll of expensive vinyl, it would assume "hey, this is that roll you ran 30' off of last tuesday", and you could verify as much and save the potential fat fingered mistaken length entered.
Yep but it's going to be the same in the next firmware that is coming soon.... in next months.
People just tend to use same profiles for different substrates so I dunno.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
See, I don't get this. For some dumb reason, I try to stick to custom/accurate profiles everywhere, even if in name alone. I guess so I can reprint with confidence in what material I used by looking through the RIP, as opposed to going and pulling work orders and looking to see what material was previously recorded, and wondering if that was accurate or not. I even have 2 profiles for IJ35, one for the actual stuff, and one for IJ40, so I can keep up with different quantities used.
Some people add the material to the file name.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If you want to know the amount of media left on a roll and not depend on software to keep track, then you have to measure it. It's quite simple. If my innumerate associate can do it, anyone else can do it as well.

All measurements are in inches, centimeters, furlongs, or whatever, as long as each of the measurements are in the same units. Measure the media on the roll from core to top of media, call that media_height. Then divide media_height by the thickness of the media and backing sheet, call that layers. Then multiply layers times the core diameter + half of the media_height and then multiply the result by Pi [3.14159265].

In one swell foop: media_height / media_thickness * (core_diameter + media_height/2) * Pi.

If your measurements are reasonably accurate, no need to go completely anal here, the result will be a usable estimate of the media left on the roll in the units you used for the measurements.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
If you want to know the amount of media left on a roll and not depend on software to keep track, then you have to measure it. It's quite simple. If my innumerate associate can do it, anyone else can do it as well.

All measurements are in inches, centimeters, furlongs, or whatever, as long as each of the measurements are in the same units. Measure the media on the roll from core to top of media, call that media_height. Then divide media_height by the thickness of the media and backing sheet, call that layers. Then multiply layers times the core diameter + half of the media_height and then multiply the result by Pi [3.14159265].

In one swell foop: media_height / media_thickness * (core_diameter + media_height/2) * Pi.

If your measurements are reasonably accurate, no need to go completely anal here, the result will be a usable estimate of the media left on the roll in the units you used for the measurements.
My formula is a little simpler... But it works very well for me.
ETA, I'm really bad at math. But when I get it, I love it.

RabidOne

I use the same formula as Bob. But the 800 asks you to enter the media length when you load it up so it keeps track for you. Just write it on the media edge if you unload part rolls. I assume the 700 is similar?

Ezek0

I use the same formula as Bob. But the 800 asks you to enter the media length when you load it up so it keeps track for you. Just write it on the media edge if you unload part rolls. I assume the 700 is similar?
Its not similar, its the exact same. Also the 300/500 (idontknow older gen)

jtiii

Beautiful day, great to be alive!
What would be useful for smaller run printers is to record the material type and length, so if I'm loading that one roll of expensive vinyl, it would assume "hey, this is that roll you ran 30' off of last tuesday", and you could verify as much and save the potential fat fingered mistaken length entered.
This!!! It's so stupid that this machine with a computer built into it can't keep track of this for us.
People just tend to use same profiles for different substrates so I dunno.
Then no length tracking for them I guess. Seriously it's so easy to copy and rename a profile that the system shouldn't be handicapped to accommodate people who don't bother to.
Some people add the material to the file name.
See above.

jtiii

Also I LOVE how the printer tells you to the tenth of a foot how much remains on the roll and then when you input that length it rounds it TO THE NEAREST TWO FEET :banghead:

BigNate

Thank you for all the advice... the HP tech showed me where the line is... with the 700 it will not automatically keep track. You must set the preference for every roll loaded, and though it is easy to get to, it is 2 folders deep - not something to randomly find.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Thank you for all the advice... the HP tech showed me where the line is... with the 700 it will not automatically keep track. You must set the preference for every roll loaded, and though it is easy to get to, it is 2 folders deep - not something to randomly find.
I don't know where he showed you to do it as you will see the option to give the length every time you load and it's right there, no need to go under any options :help

1653585130115.png

Last edited:

BigNate

yes, click on the substrate length, then open the next dialogue box, then open the box that lets you type in the length - have to do for every roll. All previous printers I have used had a virtual switch that was on or off for every roll - as it stands, if an operator blindly follows the prompts to load the length is not monitored. Extra steps have to happen. not a big deal, but makes it less idiot-proof. (generally I do not like idiot-proof things, but having the switch when multiple people can be using the equipment would keep rolls from having length unknown.)

balstestrat

Problem Solver
This!!! It's so stupid that this machine with a computer built into it can't keep track of this for us.

Then no length tracking for them I guess. Seriously it's so easy to copy and rename a profile that the system shouldn't be handicapped to accommodate people who don't bother to.

See above.
And then when you need to load a full roll next time and forget to fix the "50 feet" that was left from the previous roll, send the jobs, let it rip and head home.
Next morning you notice it's only done 30 feet out of 160 cos the counter ran out.

Having fewer profiles also helps to keep up with the color calibrations. Do it once a month on one SAV profile or to 10 (which people usually won't do).

There's no perfect way to do it, easily and simply I say. Something that everyone would like.

Last edited:

jtiii

And then when you need to load a full roll next time and forget to fix the "50 feet" that was left from the previous roll, send the jobs, let it rip and head home.
Next morning you notice it's only done 30 feet out of 160 cos the counter ran out.

Having fewer profiles also helps to keep up with the color calibrations. Do it once a month on one SAV profile or to 10 (which people usually won't do).

There's no perfect way to do it, easily and simply I say. Something that everyone would like.
I see what you're saying but the printer knows when the substrate detaches from the core. It doesn't need the counter to know if there's still material on the roll.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I see what you're saying but the printer knows when the substrate detaches from the core. It doesn't need the counter to know if there's still material on the roll.
Because the topic is on the 700 I will talk about that and those will queye the jobs in the printer, not in the RIP and it will stop printing if the remaining roll length isn't enough. So you won't have jobs that are half done because the roll ran out.

Obviously this is only in the case that the length was set but that's what this is about right.

Last edited: