• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 8000 compared to Roland/Mimaki/Mutoh

thekoj

I need some help with choosing between the HP Designjet 8000 relative to similar solvent/eco-solvent models from other brands such as Roland/Mimaki/Mutoh for outdoor signage and banners. Why would the HP8000 be preferred over the others, if at all? Total cost of ownership -- printhead replacement, ink costs, etc. I am new to this so kindly help.

artbot

a roland, mutoh, mimaki will have after market parts available forever. they are simple machines to work on. that said, my father in law works in a massive print shop. their digital department had a herd of jv3's and they ditched them for hp solvent machines. everytime i go there the hp's are cranking out stuff. the whole hp solvent thing to me though is scary. too many horror stories of a basic joe not being able to afford new heads etc.

Bill Modzel

I own a HP9000s which is the 8000's big brother. Well, faster brother but not necessarily bigger.
It's a great unit for sure. If you are shopping used, and you must be if you are looking at an 8000, I think I'd check out the other options simply because HP doesn't sell these rebranded printers anymore and they're getting to an age where repairs will be showing up.

jrsc

I bought a used hp 8000 about a month ago. It is my first solvent printer and I don't have any experience with other brands. Before this I had an HP 5500 aqueous printer for a few years. That said I like the 8000. It seems easy enough to use and does a great job printing. I haven't had to do anything other then the basic daily maintenance so I'm not sure how involved it is if something breaks. Hopefully I don't find out anytime soon.