• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Cutter wont cut through laminate (test cut is perfect)

Grace Custom

I have an HP 115 print and cut. Using Onyx as our RIP. I am having trouble getting a good cut in laminated material. Non laminated works perfect, but when trying to die cut with laminate it is not cutting through deep enough making it extremely difficult to weed.
Have tried changing the depth of the knife up and down. Changed pressure.

The odd this is that the test cut is perfect, even when done on the exact substrate the prints are on.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Are you using the normal kisscut for diecut or Flexcut function?
If you are using Flexcut did you change flexcut pressure and not normal pressure by accident?
You are using Onyx so in cutserver are you sure there is no preset pressure applied from there?

Grace Custom

Are you using the normal kisscut for diecut or Flexcut function?
If you are using Flexcut did you change flexcut pressure and not normal pressure by accident?
You are using Onyx so in cutserver are you sure there is no preset pressure applied from there?

Sorry, I said Die cut, it is actually contour cutting that we are doing. I am new to this equipment so Im not sure what the Flexcut is.
I did check in cut server and changed the cutter setting to manual/device settings. will see if this works. I didn't think about preset pressure
Thanks!!

Max Q Labs

The test cuts are perfect. It has to be a setting somewhere that I’m missing

I had this happen to me on my new HP 315 Plus Cutter, so I am wondering if you have the same problem. Here was my fix:

I had Flex Cut turned on (to Accurate mode). Turn it off on the cutter control panel, check your depth and pressure, and try again. *With FlexCut turned on, the test cuts are done with the FlexCut settings (I believe), and not the Contour Cut settings, so your test cuts may not represent what you're looking for in a contour cut. Also check to see if your RIP is setting the pressure, or if it's using the machine settings.

Before I figured that out, I ordered a bunch of different blades from eBay (different angles). Figured I should have them anyway, but the standard blade works fine for me on laminate. For FlexCut (die cut, perf cut, insert other name for it here...), I find that a 45 or 60 degree blade works better on laminated vinyl.

Good luck!

Grace Custom

I had this happen to me on my new HP 315 Plus Cutter, so I am wondering if you have the same problem. Here was my fix:

I had Flex Cut turned on (to Accurate mode). Turn it off on the cutter control panel, check your depth and pressure, and try again. *With FlexCut turned on, the test cuts are done with the FlexCut settings (I believe), and not the Contour Cut settings, so your test cuts may not represent what you're looking for in a contour cut. Also check to see if your RIP is setting the pressure, or if it's using the machine settings.

Before I figured that out, I ordered a bunch of different blades from eBay (different angles). Figured I should have them anyway, but the standard blade works fine for me on laminate. For FlexCut (die cut, perf cut, insert other name for it here...), I find that a 45 or 60 degree blade works better on laminated vinyl.

Good luck!
Thanks! How do I turn off flex cut? I can only find the settings for it to change parameters. Is there a on/off somewhere?

Grace Custom

Grace Custom

I have turned the settings in Onyx to manual/device settings and ran it. It didn't cut at all. trying to create a new default setting in onyx. I would really like to just adjust the settings on the cutter with no interference from the RIP but can't seem to find anywhere other than what I have tried. I assumed by switching to manual in Onyx it would have done that.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I have turned the settings in Onyx to manual/device settings and ran it. It didn't cut at all. trying to create a new default setting in onyx. I would really like to just adjust the settings on the cutter with no interference from the RIP but can't seem to find anywhere other than what I have tried. I assumed by switching to manual in Onyx it would have done that.
That is it, there's no other settings. After you disable the pressure and speed it will use the cutter settings, or should anyways. Take a Screenshot of the window?

Grace Custom

That is it, there's no other settings. After you disable the pressure and speed it will use the cutter settings, or should anyways. Take a Screenshot of the window?
I think I have it fixed. Had to restart Onyx for the changes to take affect.