• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Designjet Z6100 - Faulty Cartridge/Missing Cartridge issue?

natallica

Graphics Guru
Looking for theories on what causes this error.

Started a job on it before I left for the day. Came in this morning to a "replace faulty cartridge" error. So luckily I had a NIB one and dropped it in. Then it say's "Replace missing cartridge".
Tried this half a dozen times, even cleaned the chip and the connector back inside the cartridge slot... no luck
I've also power cycled it a few times, pressed the little button inside the reset hole etc.
I'd prefer not to buy yet another full cart just to have this same error.

Any ideas on what I may look into as far as checking or replacing something.
I have a service manual, but I can't find any pertinent info on this issue.

Thx
-N8

Steenland

Old Member
Unfortunately, this is a fairly common problem with the Z6100. I had to replace the Ink Supply Tubes and Trailing Cable Assembly.
See this thread from 2012:

My Z6100 still likes to reject cartridges when they get down to 109ml remaining. If a rejected cartridge is within its expiration date, HP will usually replace it.

natallica

Graphics Guru
Well, I took the side panel (ink cart side) off and found my issue. There is an 'ink sac' attached to the back of the cartridge slot with a black plastic 'pinch' clip. The ear was broken off the clip and the resistance spring was dangling out.
Using Gorilla Gel Super Glue, I reattached the tab and then reinforced both sides of it with 2 small pieces of aluminum bent to an 'L' shape, clamped it all together overnight.
I put the ink sac back on the bracket (with a twist/click) and reinserted it and...viola!
Problem is now solved, printer is back up and running.

Just in case anyone else has this issue, it was a super easy fix.

-N8