• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP FB550 Curing issue - how to lower ink coverage

MarkH42

We have a HP FB550 and the UV bulbs were replaced less than 100 hours ago. We print plastic tags on rigid polystyrene and we use a COLEX digital cutting table to cut out the material. When we print black ink and it is a full bleed, apparently the ink is not curing all the way through. The blade on the COLEX cutter causes the ink to flake slightly at the edges. This ONLY happens with black and our theory is that the opacity of the black ink doesn't allow the UV curing bulb to adequately cure all the way through, which leads to this flaking issue.

It seems that there would be two ways to address this. First, is there a way to adjust the ink profile in our ONYX Rip software to lessen the amount of black ink that gets laid down? Second, can we increase the level of curing that occurs? We use "Indoor Signage" for these tags. Would Indoor Signage Plus slow it down and allow it to cure more as it prints? Is there another way to maniuplate the curing time? This obviously slows the process, but at this point we need to try anything to resolve the issue.

FrankW

I dont think that this is an issue of curing. But you can test it by let a print sit for some hours before cutting. After exposing to UV-light, prints will post-cure for up to two days.