• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question HP FB700 Power up problem

smcnamee

Hi all.
I’ve had a long running issue with my FB700, in that when it’s powered off for repair/maintenance etc, (off at the power switch, but still connected to mains) it won’t always switch back on (I’ve had to flick the power switch 100s of times in the past before it reboots). This doesn’t always happen, but is very frustrating when it does.
I've had three different engineers work on it for various thing over the past five years, and in each case, it was the first time they had come across it, but whenever they contacted someone they know in HP, they were told that it was a rare but known issue with HP, and were told that a 'small number' of this model can have this problem.
Their only suggestions from HP were to replace the main PSU and/or on-board computer, both of which are 1000's of euro, but couldn't guarantee that this would fix the problem.
What happens is when the machine is switched off at the power button, and later switched back on, you can hear some of the internal fans power up, but it seams that the on-board computer fails to boot-up properly. Sometime it only takes 4-5 flicks of the switch to get it to boot, but the record is about 2-3 hrs! (off for 10-15 seconds, then back on.)
I've even tried powering down completely (disconnecting main power to allow any capacitors to drain), then rebooting, but nothing seams to make a difference - sometimes it boots in 2 minutes, sometimes take hours.
Has anyone else heard of this, and any suggestions?

wunder

can be from mainboard (like DRAM) and BIOS........

1st clean up the contacts with alcohol from IO-Board.....not helpful next step
2nd control the Bios settings.....not helpful next step
3rd change Dram......not helpful next step
4th change Harddisk