• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex 1500-weak yellow

jeffdpia

Digital Print Orchestrator
I’m new to this machine, all nozzles are firing but the yellow is the weakest I have ever seen across many printers I’ve operated. Is this “normal” for this unit? Running front lit matte banner stock and Thrive 18. When I look at the profile color readings per color in onyx media manager, colors in the yellow/orange hues are being corrected accordingly, nothing wacky. Try printing an orange color and it comes out more of a salmon color. Reprofile? Live with it? Can’t just swap out media as we have 126” loaded Thoughts welcome

balstestrat

Problem Solver
What if you try another profile?
Take a picture of the nozzle print?
Do a color calibration to the profile and try then?

FrankW

Was the machine not in use for a longer period? I know from the smaller Latex Printers that often yellow is the first ink where the pigments settles.

jeffdpia

The machine had sat idle for a couple weeks (at least), yellow nozzles are all firing when viewed via blue light. Color cal was run with image quality being identical before/after. I’ll switch profiles at the rip and maybe run a pure yellow stripe to get ink moving. I can move the Y ink box to stir it up but the sub tank is another story. Mind you I just noticed this on Friday when an orange bar printed salmon colored…

Last edited:

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You can shut down the machine, remove the covers next to the ink boxes, remove the air line from somewhere, doesn't matter where from and then you can take out the intermediate tank to shake it.

But in the end I think either you have color management issue in RIP or your profile or you need to change that printhead.

FrankW

I had that really often with yellow (I was a supporter of Latex-Printers). Before printing yellow areas to replace the ink in the head and the tubes, do not forget to shake the cartridge. And check the age of the ink: if they are expired, pigment settles much faster.

Its typical too that all nozzles are firing, but the ink looks more than yellowish water than Yellow.

jeffdpia

yellow water is right, so I have the access to the sub tanks open but I'm not sure what air line I'm looking for. Can you remove the sub cart with the machine powered on?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I don't recommend doing that while turned ON.
There's clear tubes behind the intermediate tanks, you can disconnect the clear line from anywhere, from the air pump or the pressure sensor, anywhere. Then it's easy to pull out the tanks.
Just take out one tube from this box. Big one is easiest.

1629116427277.png

jeffdpia

I don't recommend doing that while turned ON.
There's clear tubes behind the intermediate tanks, you can disconnect the clear line from anywhere, from the air pump or the pressure sensor, anywhere. Then it's easy to pull out the tanks.
Just take out one tube from this box. Big one is easiest.

View attachment 154915
Nice schematic, called up tech support after shutting down machine, said to just pop out the sub tank and stir it up. Restart and do a couple of hard cleanings to clear the line. Am ordering a fresh box of yellow and replacing the head. Thanks for your input, much appreciated!

jeffdpia

just to follow up, replaced Y/M head after shaking up the ink box and sub tank. Two hard cleanings and voila, full strength yellow ( not quite as instantaneous as voila )