• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Hp Latex 54 Cutter (Rebranded Summa) Grey Vinyl Problem

Baris CINGIZ

Hello,

This is my first thread ever so Hi everyone!

I have a Hp Latex 315 with a Hp cut 54. I have been using them mostly for sticker making. A client has asked for a sticker on a glossy grey self-adhesive vinyl but Opos can't sense the barcode printed on the media. I tried OposX and OposXY modes too but same problem, can't sense the marks.

Calibrated the printer for the media(ICC etc.) but couldn't calibrate the cutter. Cal Media can not be completed with the message on the screen. "This media can not be sensed with Opos. Yellow too light."

Local sellers tech support said there is no solution and grey vinyl is always a problem.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210209_163218.jpg
    20210209_163218.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 439

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You can print a bunch those black squares on white media or cut a square to see the original one and leave about 1cm white around them, then cut that out.
Put them on top of those grey ones and it will read.

RG

I had the same problem with contour cutting chrome vinyl using Flexi and a Summa D120 plotter. Instead of opos I set it up to print a bomb sight at the 4 corners of the graphics. I have to manually input into the plotter the exact location of the 4 bomb sights. Yes, it takes longer this way. I wouldn't want to do this all day, but it can get you trough small jobs.

Baris CINGIZ

You can print a bunch those black squares on white media or cut a square to see the original one and leave about 1cm white around them, then cut that out.
Put them on top of those grey ones and it will read.

Thx for your response. This might work for small jobs but the picture I added was just to show the vinyl. I have to make 500 of those, it would take a life time that way.

I had the same problem with contour cutting chrome vinyl using Flexi and a Summa D120 plotter. Instead of opos I set it up to print a bomb sight at the 4 corners of the graphics. I have to manually input into the plotter the exact location of the 4 bomb sights. Yes, it takes longer this way. I wouldn't want to do this all day, but it can get you trough small jobs.

Opos can't sense those marks either :/

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Thx for your response. This might work for small jobs but the picture I added was just to show the vinyl. I have to make 500 of those, it would take a life time that way.
Well in this case it just seems like you have the wrong device for this work :( Some people have had luck with masking tape etc. on reflective, not sure if it could work on this.

There is a way to set it up for "manual positioning" but then you have to be very accurate and have lots of bleed in the jobs. Then just cut in small batches.

Another way is to decrease the amount of those corner marks and do, lets say 50 copies per job. Then you only have 4 marks for the 50 copies, not too bad to place a white vinyl square on top of those.

bigben

I've been able to manually cut the material outside of the registration mark (1/8 around) to expose the white liner. Then the cutter is able to read the registration mark. Depending on how many you have to do, it would be a quick solution for short runs.

Baris CINGIZ

Someone solved using a yellow OPOS filter as suggested by PHILJOHNSON in this post:

https://signs101.com/threads/s2-t160-trouble-cutting-metallic.161130/#post-1497010

No luck :( I tried yellow PVC film, printing yellow on laminating vinyl, both gloss and matte. None of them made any diffrence on media calibration. Always the same message , "Opos can not sense this media. Yellow too light."

I've been able to manually cut the material outside of the registration mark (1/8 around) to expose the white liner. Then the cutter is able to read the registration mark. Depending on how many you have to do, it would be a quick solution for short runs.

This might work for small jobs but I need a solution that could work on the current job. Thx anyway :)

Why cant you use white vinyl, and print the gray that you need? That way your registration marks are on white.

That would take too long to print and ink usage would increase too much.

Baris CINGIZ

Take too long?!!.............. How long is it taking you to figure out how to cut it now?
Ink usage increase too much?!!............... If the ink usage increase for that little bit is too much, you aint charging enough.
By the time you are done dicking around trying to figure a way to cut them, you could have them done.
I don't know about you, but my time is money.

How big is the decal?

I can do the job as fast as it should be or I can just NOT do it. Time spent on new information is much more important than just delivering one order. Guess your time/money perception is a little short sighted, anyway everyone has their on way. Thanks for making time for me! Have a nice day.

Baris CINGIZ

First of all thanks everyone for trying. I solved my problem by lowering Opos sensor value to 16. That was all actually. :)