• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I am needing a font chart.

graywoulf

Hi All,

I would like to know where I can download a basic font face decription type chart to help my clients choose a font that suits them. I would like something that is basic without listing several hundred fonts that I probably do not have anyway. Something that defines the difference between block, script, seriffed and non seriffed, brushed fonts etc.. I would be most grateful for some help in finding such a chart.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hi All,

I would like to know where I can download a basic font face decription type chart to help my clients choose a font that suits them. I would like something that is basic without listing several hundred fonts that I probably do not have anyway. Something that defines the difference between block, script, seriffed and non seriffed, brushed fonts etc.. I would be most grateful for some help in finding such a chart.

Big mistake. Don't let your clients choose anything. Ever. Especially type faces. You're supposed to be the professional, you tell them, they don't tell you.

Beside, if you have so few type faces from which to choose that you can put them on a chart and not have anyone's eyes glaze over then you don't have enough.

radiohead223

i've never found it a good idea to let a client sit with me through the design process. takes to much time.

best to ask them to draw the little bit they have in their head just to give you an idea. also it makes them feel a bit like a dumbass cause they can never draw well and yet you can come back with a great looking design from their scribble

Custom_Grafx

Hi All,

If they must, tell them to google "fonts" or go to somewhere like dafont.

I have a couple of customers who like to tell me which font to use, and they usually reference the dafont site.

Hope that helps.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Show them 2, 5, 10, 24 or more faces on one chart or page and I guarantee you that 99 out of 100 will simply pick the boldest face shown.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
+1 for limiting a customer's choices...unless you have all day to wait on them...while they hound the living daylights out of you about which fonts goes with which.

RebeckaR

I've found that having samples of my work on the walls of my shop is my best font chart.
People look and point and indicate that they want "something like that".

Then I have an idea of the style they like and use an appropriate font of MY choosing. Most of the time they don't know the difference if I change it up.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
All you really need to show them or explain to them is the difference between serif and sans serif, then script to decorative and finally casuals. They only need to know if they want a playful style or something with some gumph.

Baz

Font chart = Bad idea.

Like others have mentioned. Talk with your client. Ask them what they like, what they dont like. During the conversation you should get a feel for what they are trying to go for. Don't do layouts on the spot. Get the info, get a deposit, then email them a low res design.

Colin

What Baz said. Ask them what sort of look/feel/personality they'd like to see.

Use words like: formal; casual; traditional; bold; light; masculine; feminine; script; high-tech; antique; cutting edge; cartoony; serious; fun; modern; old fashioned; exclusive; abstract; strong; elegant; sporty; playful; retro; whimsical.

They usually have no trouble picking one or two of those, then just go from there, bringing the full weight of your vast typography knowledge to bear upon their project.

GypsyGraphics

i'm in font hell with a new client...
first couple of jobs he tells me "more BOLD with no Feetzies" (copied directly from his email)

on a new job today. directions were "outlaw style" sent the first proof today.
email come back with a reminder "more BOLD with no Feetzies"
HUH... YA MEAN FOREVER, ON EVERYTHING!
not a lot of san serif western style fonts to choose from.

clients seem to think fonts selection is an afterthought :frustrated:
or worse... that their favorite goes with everything (like it's a little black dress)

Last edited:

showcase 66

I have one of those small laptops that I put every font I have gotten from free places as well as all the fonts from other business I bought out. When I get a client that wants to choose fonts, I tell them I will give them a couple choices to choose from as long as they give me an idea of what they want. If they want to choose the font I have actually given them the laptop with all the fonts and tell them to come back when they have picked the font they want. I have only had one person go past the fonts started with the letter B. Most look for a while and there eyes are burning and then tell me to choose.

petesign

i'm in font hell with a new client...
first couple of jobs he tells "more BOLD with no Feetzies" (copied directly from his email)

on a new job today. directions were "outlaw style" sent the first proof today.
email come back with a reminder that he likes "more BOLD with no Feetzies"
HUH... YA MEAN FOREVER, ON ANYTHING!
not a lot of san serif western style fonts to choose from.

clients seem to think fonts selection is an afterthought :frustrated:
or worse... that their favorite goes with everything (like it's a little black dress)

LMAO! So, just use Impact on everything you do for him, he will be happy?

Mosh

Just make one... Brush Script, Bleeding Cowboys, Papyas, these are ones to be sure to list. Most Trailer-park types choose these.... they pay in state funded food debit cards, formerly known as food stamps...most of the time they have on sweat=pants, so they are easy to spot...

Mosh

Going to bed with the smell of skunk in the air, so make any font list you want....