• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question i1Studio pro, profiling on non-paper material

NathanR

Hey folks,
I was wondering if anyone has experience setting up printing profiles on things other than white paper using the i1 Studio Pro spectrometer and software?

In my case I'm trying on raw wood and colored leatherette on a Mimaki Jfx200.
I did successfully run a profile with off-white leatherette and a sheet of wood with white primer, but when I try to run the color scan on plane wood with no primer the software gets stuck trying to calculate the next steps despite the scanner indicating all the scans where good.

I do realize this might be asking a question similar to "how can I fly with my arms and cardboard" but I figured I'd check and see if anyone has experience with this.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Yep wont work.

to understand how CMYK works, it's subtractive as when ink is layed on the media, it always gets darker (subtracting light) , so you need a whitepoint to begin with.
having a "whitepoint" that's a different colour will not work, as for starters the software will get very confused why the whitepoint is brown.

Realistically you cannot create an accurate icc profile for wood. you just have to use a generic icc profile. And you'll never get accurate colours printing on something that's not white to start with.

Create your own generic profile on paper, or wood with a white primer etc. and use that.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Yep wont work.

to understand how CMYK works, it's subtractive as when ink is layed on the media, it always gets darker (subtracting light) , so you need a whitepoint to begin with.
having a "whitepoint" that's a different colour will not work, as for starters the software will get very confused why the whitepoint is brown.

Realistically you cannot create an accurate icc profile for wood. you just have to use a generic icc profile. And you'll never get accurate colours printing on something that's not white to start with.

Create your own generic profile on paper, or wood with a white primer etc. and use that.

The other issue you will run in to is, wood being natural will have a different base color from sheet to sheet.

NathanR

Ah, That makes sense.
Kinda figured it was a long shot of it working in the first place.
I appreciate the help.