• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ignorant cheap people...this is driving me nuts!!!

Premier Wraps

Ok. First off...this whole getting outbid thing has been discussed a bunch around here. But I got another one for ya. Guy calls me yesterday on my cell out of the clear blue. Got my number from another good friend of mine. How close these two are, no idea. Any way he asks me about wrapping a Sprinter w/the high roof, but he says it's the normal length. No problem. Full? Half? Windows? etc, etc. Go through the part about the entire process. "Ya I'll drive to your place to do it as long as its inside." (max an hour away) Tell him not sure about square footage off the top of my head and that I'm out of the office. Tell him $2400 for a normal Ford/Chevy van, but I think the Sprinter is more. He seems shocked but says he'll send over a logo and his contact info via email and let's talk tomorrow (which is today). By the time I'm back in my office it's almost 6pm. I'm returning emails, going through voice mails, etc. I remember to look up a Sprinter. It's 300sqft+, thank God I told him it was an approximate number and I'd have a better figure tomorrow. So this morning I call him. He's got this little attitude in his voice right off the bat. Like he sees the caller ID and it upset him I had the nerve to call back. Before I can say good morning he says he called another place and they were $1700 and he's going with them. (HOLY S%$T I think). I tell him I actually called to let him know it was going to be $3000. He says sorry, got to go with this other guy. With the attitude he's dishing out I let him have the polite FU sales pitch...(probably not the smartest move, but hey, I'd already lost the job anyway plus he's an hour away). I tell him "Good luck with that other company. See if they're around in a year because when the channels are lifting, and the wraps failing don't call...." he hung up on me.

My question is. Who in their right friggen mind would wrap a Sprinter for less than $5 a sq ft?

This whole thing is getting unreal. Just last week I had a guy call me and asked if I priced match. I guess...never been asked that, sure let me give it shot...give it to me. Ford Ranger with a shell for $800 no roof. Seriously. Up yours. Again, layed into the whole FU sales pitch, except this guy started to understand my point. Still lost the job, but hey if I can at least educate someone about this stuff I won a small battle....I think anyway.

Sorry for the rant. I needed to vent. Especially to people that know what I'm talking about.

Techman

we have to get away from biddin on the phone. Our mission is to get them into the shop so we can seel them something..

Biddin on the phone is crazy ,They have no commitment..

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
we have to get away from biddin on the phone. Our mission is to get them into the shop so we can seel them something..

Biddin on the phone is crazy ,They have no commitment..

Totally agree. If they are just choosing you based on your bid without considering any differences in the design, materials, production and installation you are in for a lot of frustration. You must at some point sell them on the idea that you are the guy they want to do business with.

jasonx

Ok. First off...this whole getting outbid thing has been discussed a bunch around here. But I got another one for ya. Guy calls me yesterday on my cell out of the clear blue. Got my number from another good friend of mine. How close these two are, no idea. Any way he asks me about wrapping a Sprinter w/the high roof, but he says it's the normal length. No problem. Full? Half? Windows? etc, etc. Go through the part about the entire process. "Ya I'll drive to your place to do it as long as its inside." (max an hour away) Tell him not sure about square footage off the top of my head and that I'm out of the office. Tell him $2400 for a normal Ford/Chevy van, but I think the Sprinter is more. He seems shocked but says he'll send over a logo and his contact info via email and let's talk tomorrow (which is today). By the time I'm back in my office it's almost 6pm. I'm returning emails, going through voice mails, etc. I remember to look up a Sprinter. It's 300sqft+, thank God I told him it was an approximate number and I'd have a better figure tomorrow. So this morning I call him. He's got this little attitude in his voice right off the bat. Like he sees the caller ID and it upset him I had the nerve to call back. Before I can say good morning he says he called another place and they were $1700 and he's going with them. (HOLY S%$T I think). I tell him I actually called to let him know it was going to be $3000. He says sorry, got to go with this other guy. With the attitude he's dishing out I let him have the polite FU sales pitch...(probably not the smartest move, but hey, I'd already lost the job anyway plus he's an hour away). I tell him "Good luck with that other company. See if they're around in a year because when the channels are lifting, and the wraps failing don't call...." he hung up on me.

My question is. Who in their right friggen mind would wrap a Sprinter for less than $5 a sq ft?

This whole thing is getting unreal. Just last week I had a guy call me and asked if I priced match. I guess...never been asked that, sure let me give it shot...give it to me. Ford Ranger with a shell for $800 no roof. Seriously. Up yours. Again, layed into the whole FU sales pitch, except this guy started to understand my point. Still lost the job, but hey if I can at least educate someone about this stuff I won a small battle....I think anyway.

Sorry for the rant. I needed to vent. Especially to people that know what I'm talking about.

These aren't your customers. Go back over your business plan and clearly identify who your customers are and target them. We've been able to clearly identify our customers.

One good tip. If someone rings for a quote. Get them to email you all the details. Maybe send them an email to fill in all the blanks. Most people who are just price shopping won't give you the details. They aren't coming into your shop but are giving some time to supply you with information.

You now know where they are in the purchasing process.

Another tip when some one rings you asking only for a price, dont give them one. It devalues your work and shows its a commodoity. Build some barriers to give out your pricing. A wrap afterall is a high value job and we should treat it as such.

Your customers should be more concerned with all the benefits from the wrap and ensuring the job is done properlly so their return on investment is greatly increased.

astro8

These aren't your customers. Go back over your business plan and clearly identify who your customers are and target them. We've been able to clearly identify our customers.

One good tip. If someone rings for a quote. Get them to email you all the details. Maybe send them an email to fill in all the blanks. Most people who are just price shopping won't give you the details. They aren't coming into your shop but are giving some time to supply you with information.

You now know where they are in the purchasing process.

Another tip when some one rings you asking only for a price, dont give them one. It devalues your work and shows its a commodoity. Build some barriers to give out your pricing. A wrap afterall is a high value job and we should treat it as such.

Your customers should be more concerned with all the benefits from the wrap and ensuring the job is done properlly so their return on investment is greatly increased.

Good advice..we don't give out prices over the phone either...if they can't take the time to email you the specs for the job so we can give an accurate quote...we don't bother with them.

Jillbeans

Let the other people price themselves right out of business.
Unfortunately they are also doing irreparable damage to our industry by giving away their work.
(can't understand the reasoning behind buying very expensive technology then pricing jobs at pennies on the dollar just to keep those machines running)
I would avoid the razorblade smile FU thing, you don't want to totally alienate them when they come crawling back asking for you to do it right.
Love....Jill

andy

Someone who bought a printer and started a sign shop without doing the boring tasks first. Robust business plans, accurate overhead costings and properly worked out profit generating price strategies are dull businessy type things which only nerds and accountants do.

Me, I want to print big sticky pictures cos it's wayyyyy cool. Vinyl is cheap so hell, there is loads of money in it- I know this cos the local sign guy charges a load of money for his vinyl stuff... way more than I can buy a WHOLE roll for. Anyways, I don't know what a business plan is and I'm useless at maths so I can't do all that boring stuff even if I wanted to.

That's how I think a lot of people think about their new business before they start printing or cutting vinyl and there is NO realistic chance of educating this type of person on what the word PROFIT really means and how it impacts their lifestyle.

Over the years I've lost count of how many aggressive new shops have limped off stage and died. Low prices DO NOT win you market share, they DO NOT put your competition our of business and they certainly DO NOT buy you customer loyalty.

If your competitors are running around quoting at cost or less it's purely a matter of time before they die- what you've got to do is make sure that you make a profit on everything you do and leave them to commit suicide on their own.

Jill is right, these cretins take a perfectly viable industry and stab it in the back but it's something you have to learn to live with.

If someone phoned up and said "hey do this job for free and give me $100" you would think they were mental... if your competitors don't know if their prices are profitable they are saying "yes" to this question every time they undercut you. If nothing else this gives you some comfort.

mikefine

I have noticed the term "wrap" has become more generic in its meaning describing vehicle graphics. I frequently have customers request wrap quotes, but they were really just looking for standard vinyl lettering. Are you sure you are all on the same page as to the type of work requested? Also, since you did not ask for his phone number, that is indicative that you are not asking enough questions in scoping out the job inquiry.

S

SignTech

I am with the rest on phone quoting. I don't do "ballpark", "approximates" etc ... I do formal hard copy (email or in person) quotes after full research.

If the customers gets upset then let them. If you are being underbid by 30 40 50% obviously there is a problem. That's a huge difference.

I have observed and read 1000 time right here on s101 that this the current wave and has been for about 2 years now. Not much pride, quality and craftsmanship goes into the daisies poping up all over who claim to make signs for cheap. Honestly they won't last long ....... there IS still a market for customers that want good quality, SERVICE, and consistency ...... I wouldn't have believed this 7 months ago.

Stick to your guns, play the market and don't let cheapo customers like this last one deduce your abilities, intelligence or anything else.

I just had a customer want (2) 4x6 custom shape 3/4" double sided sign faces RTG .... he wants to install one of them between two 6"x6" posts and the other on the building fascia. He argued all day long he could paint the posts even though they are pressure treated right away. This is a flooring guy Tile/Marble ....... he swore the paint will hold up, was dead against cedar ........ why? cause everyone wants quick, cheap fix's ... but they want quality and it should last forever. Then he cheaps out more calls me back and wants to get .080 aluminum and rivet them to the posts lol ........ told me to re-qoute ....... and I did .......... $300.00 more ........... he was shocked. He forgot that now he wants (3) signs and aluminum .080 ......... look this business I have found is filled with all kinds ........... mostly cheap DYI morons ........ you just have to weed through the junk ......... I lose a lot of jobs because if my aggravation meter peaks with certain customers I walk away ............. not something I suggest for everyone, just my choice.

Techman

Our mission is to find out what their pain is. What is making them call you in the first place. Then you amplify that pain,,Make them squirm and make them mentally suffer if they do not act. Then you do offer them the solution that only you understand. Then get your close with a good profit.

That all means getting them into your shop somehow. Set appointments. Don't even talk about price or any discounts or anything else that will frame their mind about money. If you talk money on the phone you die.

Browner

I have noticed the term "wrap" has become more generic in its meaning describing vehicle graphics. I frequently have customers request wrap quotes, but they were really just looking for standard vinyl lettering.
I'm finding this more and more myself. Some guy asked me for a "wrap" for his skid-steer. All he really wanted was his company name on the lift arms. Another guy asked for pricing on a "full wrap", but went on to explain that to him, that just meant his company name and phone number on the door, and some bullet points on the truck cab :banghead:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Lots of good advice here...

This is kinda the same issue as Josh Loring's.... you are doing business where close to 17,000,000 people live. In that environment, there will always be someone cheaper than you if you are pricing to stay in business. It's a price shoppers paradise if a person is willing to drive a little for a cheaper price. You also might be suffering from the IE syndrome that everything is cheaper here than in OC and LA. Since you probably can't compete with that type of pricing and stay in business, you have to market your services and quality better and not sweat the cheap hacks...

TheSnowman

I took a wrap class when I first got into the digital world from cutting. I must have gotten in at the tail end of it, because you could still charge about $12 - $14 sq. ft. when I was there...that was in 2007. Seems like just lately it's been downhill, I don't even attempt to compete w/ "wraps" anymore.

On another note, had a customer that wanted me to explain why my price was so much higher than Vista Print. I told her that if her ONLY shopping reason was for price, then she was wasting her time with me...because I can't do FREE stuff for all my customers like they do. I told her that what they charge extra for is all standard stuff we do out the door. If she doesn't need design help, ordering help, customer service, or installation, then she might as well go w/ them, but if she wanted help and a good product in the end, she needed to go local, even if it wasn't with me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, let those kind of "customers" (if we can even call them that) go, and just hang onto your good ones that don't haggle every job you do. The ones that want just "cheap" aren't worth doing business with.

Craig Sjoquist

only thing I give price on phone is my window splash... and it's at a low price .... but what ya know there's a some shops printing at $5 per sq ft also ... does not understand that ... when it cost me $10 per sq ft wholesale ... plain confussed

but as far as those who think that a good deal is on the other side let it go quick not worth it

Premier Wraps

Lots of good advice here...

This is kinda the same issue as Josh Loring's.... you are doing business where close to 17,000,000 people live. In that environment, there will always be someone cheaper than you if you are pricing to stay in business. It's a price shoppers paradise if a person is willing to drive a little for a cheaper price. You also might be suffering from the IE syndrome that everything is cheaper here than in OC and LA. Since you probably can't compete with that type of pricing and stay in business, you have to market your services and quality better and not sweat the cheap hacks...

I'm in the IE (Fontana) because I do a TON of truck lettering. Have a large fleet account that pays for all it's own material, a full time employee to take care of just that account and it pays for the lease payment on all my equipment. Been this way going on 2 years. With easy another year to go. Plus my rent is dirt firggen cheap. Plenty of truck parking, etc. Actually this guy calling me was from South OC (lives in Cota de Coza) actually. So it's someone down there in that area. Either he's full of crap or he actually did get someone to whore them selves out. Unreal.

Premier Wraps

Good advice..we don't give out prices over the phone either...if they can't take the time to email you the specs for the job so we can give an accurate quote...we don't bother with them.

I'm digging this idea. Gunna start using it on Monday. I'm averaging anywhere from 2-3 quotes a day. (even had 14 one day) All rough estimates. And need to see the vehicle before giving them an accurate number. I like whole send me an email idea.

I have noticed the term "wrap" has become more generic in its meaning describing vehicle graphics. I frequently have customers request wrap quotes, but they were really just looking for standard vinyl lettering. Are you sure you are all on the same page as to the type of work requested? Also, since you did not ask for his phone number, that is indicative that you are not asking enough questions in scoping out the job inquiry.

Yep this happen yesterday to me.

Guy calls.. Hey I need my truck wrapped today with no design.
I said ok.. 10,000 bucks

He was said just for the doors in 1 color?
I laughed

jjwstar

those Mofcker......i have been telling you guys all the same siht....they just do it to make payment on the printers & equipment. i have seen many bastar ds here in the socal area selling those price. everything is HALF the price i quote them. i dont understand how the fck they are doing it.

those Mofcker......i have been telling you guys all the same siht....they just do it to make payment on the printers & equipment. i have seen many bastar ds here in the socal area selling those price. everything is HALF the price i quote them. i dont understand how the fck they are doing it.

What I dont understand is why the mods dont catch all this cussing codes...