• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I'm So confused !!!!

robracer

For the sake of this conversation, and this man's power-bill - I will ask a question based on hear-say things: is it true that HP latex printers need extremely high power - ... POWER (if this is sane on english?)
I heard they need 20KW + of power, meaning power bill is gonna go 'through the roof'?

The HP Latex printers are a heap faster than the solvent printers, we bundle our jobs & run the printer for 1/4 or the day. Our JV3 160S would take all day....then some to output the same ammount & as for quality ..... its worth the extra cost as I can sell the product for more anyway.

The additional time / labour saved on NO maintanence makes up for any additional costs any day of the week
HP :U Rock:

Oh & we run 3 screen printing tunel dryers with an power bill of $100 per Day we did not notice any real diference when the HP was installed, it runs 2 power supplies but one is for the heaters & one for the printer, HP backs up the green feel with an energy saving rating sticker on the printer, whatever that means:smile:

Last edited:

boxerbay

Epson GS6000 here - excellent excellent color, low maintenance (once a month), and most prints are ready to handle after 15 min. Also, low solvent with no nickel (green) so we can run inside enclosed area without having to use an air scrubber. Wave printing = no banding. Things i don't like about the Epson - media release handle on front instead of the back where you load the paper. Collars that hold the media seem a bit flimsy plastic but they work. We load 64"x150 13oz banner on it and they hold fine. Overall we like it.

Reasons we did not go with the others:

Roland - slow and more $$

HP Latex - dual 220 outlets require running electrical outlet$ $ and extra heat inside enclosed office space. Also when we purchased the Epson the HP latex just came out so we were weary of media compatibility and life of prints. vendors are now making latex compatible media.

Seiko 64s - same old same old tech. also inks were solvent aggressive.

Mimaki - inks high solvent.

This is my case - others are different - you need to evaluate YOUR needs and pick the best machine that fits those needs.

andy

ok to make a long story short. I been researching which printer I need to get my shop.about three years now. Mimaki , Roland , Mutoh , Epson , I know i'm leaving some out but come on.... I do car wraps, magnets, decals, banners, and 80% of my work ends up outdoors. I'm outsourcing $3 - 5K a month in printed material. I'm really getting tired of seeing that i could have bought my own printer and paid for it two and a half times now.over the last two years.... please someone help me . I'm in it to win it. 11 years in the business now and love my job..... ALMOST everyday.....lol ..... thanks lee

Do you make money from your current print work?

If you're making a healthy profit why volunteer for the expensive @rse ache which is digital print ownership? Right now you aren't making lease payments, you haven't had to shell out for a laminator, you aren't buying ink & media stock, you aren't coughing up thousands for replacement parts and screw ups.

If you can make money from outsourcing... letting someone else beat their head on the wall at 3am as the machine screws up AGAIN I don't see a problem. The more work you do the bigger your outsourcing bill is.... which isn't a bad thing is it?

Christian @ 2CT Media

The HP doesn't use any more energy than a Mutoh VJ-1304, Just cause it uses 220v doesn't mean more energy it just means more current.

The heat is manageable, we have a 13000BTU Poratable A/C and it Keeps the Temps in the high 70s with the Printer running.

signage

The HP doesn't use any more energy than a Mutoh VJ-1304, Just cause it uses 220v doesn't mean more energy it just means more current.

The heat is manageable, we have a 13000BTU Poratable A/C and it Keeps the Temps in the high 70s with the Printer running.

I think you have this backwords! Higher voltages use less current!

wrapworld2

well, this is all really great information..... i feel like i'm paying out the wazoo for my print and shipping these days maybe i'm wrong. and yes I'd rather have someone else do the work and have all the problems incurred in the process of things. I just feel like I'm not making enough money to justify doing the wraps. Decals and square footage stuff. I'm staying with the other locals and not playing cut throat in my pricing. Maybe I should try to find another outsource but no one wants to work with me in tennessee that I've contacted here> I pay for my stuff as soon as it's completed but from the east coast and 2nd day shipping its really kicking my butt. Especially after the cost of the prints. I'd love to get some more quotes from some of you here on what you'd charge for doing my printing. feel free to pm me with a quote or pricing and I'll keep looking for a printer that suits my needs. you all have been very helpful to me and I really thank you all. heres a wrap i'm making $400 on after I paid it all out. and I was $180 higher than the other estimate for this job. it's a 12 x 6 one full side. 8' of the other side with the door. and a full back door. and two small logos on the front nose that equal 2'x2'. i charged $1200 and they supplied all the art in correct files........ so yes I paid $4.50 square plus $70 shipping..... not much left was there........any ideas would help...... thanks lee

andy

Use your position to your advantage;

You've got paying retail clients ready to go... many sign shops with their own printers don't.

You pay promptly.... many print suppliers are going to love having you as a customer.

You know how to create & supply the right kind of print files... many print suppliers are going to want to marry you.

Contact as many print suppliers as you can find and see what they can offer you... if $4.50 per square foot doesn't leave enough food on your table come out and say so; "I'd love to give you my print work but we need to make it worthwhile for both of us.. we need to do a deal".

Once you've found a good, reliable print shop who offer you a fair price which enables you to both make money stick with them.... don't keep flitting from one supplier to the next. When you spend a lot of money with a supplier you become a valued asset... someone who brings money and dumps it into your suppliers pocket... if you are prepared to pay a fair price then you will be looked after. The key here is fair pricing.... your supplier needs to be fair with you and allow you enough money to make the projects you're bringing him worth your while. Likewise, you've got to be prepared to pay a fair price which makes your projects worth doing from your suppliers perspective.... there is a sweet spot where both parties are happy with the deal.. you've just got to find it.

I don't do much print but when I need something printed I use a multiplatform shop like Merrit because I don't know what printer does the best job of printing on this media or for that application... I pay them for their expertise and their machinery. As long as the price allows me to make money I don't care.

wrapworld2

thank you andy that was very good words from someone who knows how i feel. I will keep trying to find my happy medium..... I do appreciate others i just really feel like I deserve more "FOOD". I know they have to incur all the problems on the print end I just really hope I can find another good one like a had. He sold out to his brother and never got a dime from any of his equip. He went into law enforcement..... so I'm out cause his brother demanded $5 a square and thats just not gonna happen . so until i find the right printer for my shop i guess i'll just keep trying. and I was loyal to him for 2 years three months and would still be with him... wow how things change......

HulkSmash

talk to one of our merchant member on here. they do a lot of wholesale printing for other companies like yours.

WDP

WE are on our 4th generation rolands here. We have one arriving on thursday a 64in print and cut. THe new VS is faster than the Pro 3 go figure lol