• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Inaccurate and Inconsistent print run lengths on HP Latex 560

ColorFast

We are working on printing a mural job with panels that are 50"x99". We are printing on an HP Latex 560 on Digiscape Stick-R Weave adhesive wall media (approved for HP Latex Inks). We typically have just used the OMAS sensor to determine the media advance but noticed that it isn't always as accurate as we'd hope. For this job we were planning to manually enter the Media Advance Calibtraion number after running the test print. When we do that we get a value of -6 (the lightest column) and enter that into the media profile. Even after this "fine tuning" of the setting, our panels are coming out over an inch short (98" instead of 99"). This seems extreme to me. The results are the same with or without the take-up reel. It's also a bit inconsistent (sometimes 1.25" short, sometimes only .75"). Grimco support recommended increasing the input tension by +2 and trying again. Similar results. What could I be missing here? The only thing I can think is that the profile I'm using was adapted from one that was originally 8-pass which I've tweaked to print 16-pass. Even with this change I would've assumed the Media Advance Factor adjustment would've corrected for this. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. In the meantime I'm going to try another print where I jack up the input tension even higher. Also, an aside, we get great print quality on the 560 but I have never worked on a more frustrating printer. Can anyone else attest to this?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Advance adjustment is to make sure it is moving correctly when laying down the ink. Then you can correct the size adjustment in RIP.

Now saying is that difference extreme or not its hard to say. I don't know that material and how it behaves.

ColorFast

Advance adjustment is to make sure it is moving correctly when laying down the ink. Then you can correct the size adjustment in RIP.

Now saying is that difference extreme or not its hard to say. I don't know that material and how it behaves.
To be clear, are you suggesting that I just resize the file to be larger? So If I know I'm losing 1/2" every 8' worth of printing I would just set up the panels to be 1/2" bigger? Or is there a compensation setting in the RIP? Thanks

stickerhed

We are working on printing a mural job with panels that are 50"x99". We are printing on an HP Latex 560 on Digiscape Stick-R Weave adhesive wall media (approved for HP Latex Inks). We typically have just used the OMAS sensor to determine the media advance but noticed that it isn't always as accurate as we'd hope. For this job we were planning to manually enter the Media Advance Calibtraion number after running the test print. When we do that we get a value of -6 (the lightest column) and enter that into the media profile. Even after this "fine tuning" of the setting, our panels are coming out over an inch short (98" instead of 99"). This seems extreme to me. The results are the same with or without the take-up reel. It's also a bit inconsistent (sometimes 1.25" short, sometimes only .75"). Grimco support recommended increasing the input tension by +2 and trying again. Similar results. What could I be missing here? The only thing I can think is that the profile I'm using was adapted from one that was originally 8-pass which I've tweaked to print 16-pass. Even with this change I would've assumed the Media Advance Factor adjustment would've corrected for this. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. In the meantime I'm going to try another print where I jack up the input tension even higher. Also, an aside, we get great print quality on the 560 but I have never worked on a more frustrating printer. Can anyone else attest to this?
I have a 365 and a 700w and I run 1 panel at a time, let it completely finish, then send over the next panel. This made my panel match up way better than just sending all the panels over at once. Also, on my 365 I don't "enable" the TUR, I hook it up and use it, I just don't let it redo the substrate advance calibration it does when you enable it. I'm not sure what the TUR is like on the 560. I hope this helps you.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
To be clear, are you suggesting that I just resize the file to be larger? So If I know I'm losing 1/2" every 8' worth of printing I would just set up the panels to be 1/2" bigger? Or is there a compensation setting in the RIP? Thanks
Yes, most RIPs can do it automatically. If it's material shrink then it's the way to do it.