• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink fade on clear? How to...

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
So, what I would do, print it on our Agfa, use white ink and set it to a variable pixel mask. Then the top would be opaque, but the bottom would fade out to clear - the white would only print behind the pixels, and as the color thins out, so would the white. I know Stacy is grateful that I have explained this, since she does not have this kind of printer or capability - but I would think Signs 365 could do this... not sure, as we don't order from them.
OH wait, that won't work because of the white lettering. and the white rims Burton pointed out - so Nevermind.
The white would have to be set up in the artwork as a spot color - duplicating the gradient. I wonder how that would work - now I have to try it to see if it's even possible.
That's where a vector halftone would be better. Print white under and the clear will be maintained

gnubler

That's quite a logo-ey logo! :D Just jokin.

Like the others said, that won't look good on glass. Everything that's white/light is going to drop out and be see-through. And without a white underbase the whole thing will look washed out.

Why can't you just print on a white cling material? I think someone mentioned S365 does that now.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
That's where a vector halftone would be better. Print white under and the clear will be maintained
But you would still have to set up the file with a white spot - you couldn't just do a flood on the image. So the halftone makes sense for offset printing, but with digital printing you shouldn't need to half tone it.

Stacey K

I like making signs
This is a relatively new customer. Everything I've done so far with their supplied artwork has been a real project. They have terrible art assets, photos, etc. sizing not correct, blurry photos...a lot of going back and forth. I just emailed her and asked if their last printer had printed these on clear and admitted I really don't think this will work. I think the last printer printed the fade on white cling and they were not happy because they wanted clear.

Thankfully the rest of you responded...gives me hope we can scrap this clear project LOL

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
But you would still have to set up the file with a white spot - you couldn't just do a flood on the image. So the halftone makes sense for offset printing, but with digital printing you shouldn't need to half tone it.
I'm assuming that they want the clear otherwise you'd just print the gradient on white vinyl rather than flood white
The spot would be easy, copy and paste the green halftone

Last edited: