• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink heating problem

Border Press

I have an Arizona 318 GL Flatbed with RMO. The ink heater will not turn on and marks N/A on the temperature. On the maintenance screen the temperature reads 9990000000000000000. Can anyone help me figure out what's going on?

AlsEU

Probably one of the thermistors inside the printhead is broken. Problem is, that it's inside the head and it's very difficult to replace/bypass it. You need an SDS key to check, which head has the wrong temperature reading.

Border Press

Probably one of the thermistors inside the printhead is broken. Problem is, that it's inside the head and it's very difficult to replace/bypass it. You need an SDS key to check, which head has the wrong temperature reading.
Thank you I'll check that out.

Border Press

If I find which one it is would it mean that I would have to replace that printhead?

ToTo

Professional Support
AlsEU is right, one (or more) of the printheads providing wrong temperature values. But the temperature value shown in the GUI is just an visualization of the average of all temperature sensors together. This value is not used to activate or deactivate the heater system. The heating system is self-controlled with temperature sensors on ink reservoir in carriage and coolant reservoir in right side gantry. The only sensor that deactivate the heating is „coolant low“-sensor.
Print starts if temperature measured in one slot (default 5, first cyan) reached the threshold. The default can be changed in registry.
Does the coolant pump and degassing pump start to work on heating? Does the heater elements on ink an coolant reservoir start to heat?

Border Press

AlsEU is right, one (or more) of the printheads providing wrong temperature values. But the temperature value shown in the GUI is just an visualization of the average of all temperature sensors together. This value is not used to activate or deactivate the heater system. The heating system is self-controlled with temperature sensors on ink reservoir in carriage and coolant reservoir in right side gantry. The only sensor that deactivate the heating is „coolant low“-sensor.
Print starts if temperature measured in one slot (default 5, first cyan) reached the threshold. The default can be changed in registry.
Does the coolant pump and degassing pump start to work on heating? Does the heater elements on ink an coolant reservoir start to heat?
No neither heating element seem to turn on. I hear a noise by the ink pumps on the right side of the gantry. I'm guessing that must be the coolant pump. But nothing heats up.

ToTo

Professional Support
The pump you hear near ink pumps is the double head pump for degassing vacuum.
When you tap activate heater, does the button text change? Have you checked heater elements by touching both of them? If temperature doesn’t change system provide you an error, for sure. Let it heat for certain time.
Move the beam and Open right side gantry to access and verify coolant pump in front of the coolant reservoir.

Border Press

No the button text does not change when I press it. Degassing pump turns on. The pump by the coolant reservoir is constantly whirring, but there's no change when I hit the button for the ink heater. I've waited a good 10 min but heating elements aren't heating up. There is an error that says ink heat system problem.

AlsEU

You need to check:
- the coolant level
- possible leaks from the coolant pump
- heater on the coolant tank
- thermistors inside the heads (SDS required)
- heater behind the ink manifold
- when did you flush the coolant system and replace the coolant for the last time? It should be done once per year...
- how old are coolant tubes? Were they replaced?

Border Press

You need to check:
- the coolant level
- possible leaks from the coolant pump
- heater on the coolant tank
- thermistors inside the heads (SDS required)
- heater behind the ink manifold
- when did you flush the coolant system and replace the coolant for the last time? It should be done once per year...
- how old are coolant tubes? Were they replaced?
Coolant level is good
No leaks
Neither heater turns on
Don't have SDS for thermistors
We haven't been instructed on how to flush coolant system. Machine is 6 yrs old. Coolant tubes have not been replaced.

AlsEU

Coolant level is good
No leaks
Neither heater turns on
Don't have SDS for thermistors
We haven't been instructed on how to flush coolant system. Machine is 6 yrs old. Coolant tubes have not been replaced.
In time coolant thickens (the water from it evaporates and therefore the liquid is thicker) - that's the reason to replace it once per year. Also, residues precipitate on the tubing walls and inside the pump, which reduces the flow and makes the pump work harder - as a result the pump may become broken due to the too high loading or it will stop pushing the coolant through the tubing. After 6 years I would recommend a coolant system flushing (using demineralized water) and replacing the coolant liquid and the coolant tubing regardless of the temperature error (otherwise the coolant tubing may crack inside the IGUS chain, which may be dangerous for the electric cables located nearly). These service procedures require an SDS key (service key). SDS is not required for thermistors, it is required to enter the service menu and perform many service procedures and diagnostics. You should try to locate a service engineer or someone which has the SDS key and knows the service procedures for these printers to find out, where is the problem.