• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Interesting Study Showing Avery outperforms the rest..

HulkSmash

bikecomedy

A definitive answer to a quality difference and performance edge in a competitive business is always appreciated by everyone. If this was a joke yeah I didn't get it. If you were serious, it was a waste of time.

Last edited:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I will say this..... re-wrapping my shop truck with their solid color wrap vinyl now and have to admit. I'm quite pleased with how the material is installing. Using the brushed steel and black metallic.

I'll also say this, I've always liked Oracal (and 3M's vinyl less their yellowish color and high prices). Over the past 10 years or so I've removed a lot of wraps and whatnot. Every single one that was 3M has by far been the easiest to remove except where primer was used. I've come to despise primer.

On Oracals solid color wrap vinyl.... I gave their 970RA a try on my truck hardly 2 and half years ago. The stuff looked slick, installed very nice. It did not age well at all. In the past year it started developing some greyish spots which would not clean off. I did care for it pretty well, it was kept generally pretty clean and I did even lightly wax it a couple of times (somewhat anti-matte I guess but it still kept it's nice look) with good synthetic wax. Well over the past several months the spotting got severely worse and it started looking very bad. Turns out the spotting is like what you see on a printed wrap that has been left on far too long (like 4+ years) without ever being cared for. The spotting is etched all into the paint and my paint is totally ruined. This is the original factory paint job on a GMC pickup. It was a nightmare to remove and even pulled the clearcoat up in a few places. Had to resort to cutting it into about 3 inch strips and using a steamer to get it off in reasonable sized pieces. I have to say, at well under 3 years I'm very very disappointed in the 970RA. Maybe it was just too new a product, maybe we just have some really bad acid dew here in South Carolina, I'm not sure. The damage was only on the horizontal surfaces (roof, hood, top edge of doors, fenders on bed, etc). The rest of it came off fairly well although not as nice as 3M does. Regardless, I will never use Oracal 970RA matte vinyl for anything long term again. Especially on a customers vehicle. Unless they insist in which case we will require a signed waiver stating they are aware that there could be severe paint damage if it is left on longer than about a year.

Over the past year we have switched to and used quite a large amount of Oracal print vinyl on customer wraps. Specifically the 3751 with 290 lam. I'm slightly concerned about removing these down the road but I'm thinking that it will not be like this matte 970RA was. They better not be anyways. We always stuck with 3M in the past for good reason, it just works well. Over the years even tried a roll of other things here and there and every time was right back to 3M. I'm hesitant to dive head onto into something else that might end up negatively costing myself and my business in the long run.

dclet

a nutshell -

Avery 1005 - installation is EASY or EZ. But can not get it print correctly/consitently

Oracal 3951 - good, everything else they sell is junk.

3m - Does what it claims. Pricey but no headaches.

HulkSmash

A definitive answer to a quality difference and performance edge in a competitive business is always appreciated by everyone. If this was a joke yeah I didn't get it. If you were serious, it was a waste of time.

lol what?

Did you read the title? AVERY RELEASES...not a 3rd party but avery. They're promoting themselves which is fine...
and which is 100% legit because that publisher WOULD NOT make a story on it if it wasn't backed up. These magazines are really careful not to favor one side or another.

Let's be honest though, Averys solid wrap film is about 900 times better then 3m. Oracal is close, just a little too aggressive in my opinion.

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo enjoy wasting your time.

bikecomedy

Hold on pal... the point of your post is "Coloradosigns' opinion is Avery Dennison Supreme Wrapping Film is great and Avery just needs to work on quality control, and they will be on top no doubt."

Everone on the planet knows that the evidence used to formulate ones opinion needs to be an honest representation of the facts not based on a biased study reported as a press release so as to not stir the competitors who will immediately recognize that everyone will see it for what it is. Well almost everyone.

Forum cred -1.
@ Signlight et al who took the time to share details about the various materials and your real life experiences :thankyou: These are excellent.

HulkSmash

Hold on pal... the point of your post is "Coloradosigns' opinion is Avery Dennison Supreme Wrapping Film is great and Avery just needs to work on quality control, and they will be on top no doubt."

Everone on the planet knows that the evidence used to formulate ones opinion needs to be an honest representation of the facts not based on a biased study reported as a press release so as to not stir the competitors who will immediately recognize that everyone will see it for what it is. Well almost everyone.

Forum cred -1.
@ Signlight et al who took the time to share details about the various materials and your real life experiences :thankyou: These are excellent.

Biased study? So tell me what would make this study "Unbiased"

oh yeah, and sorry i didn't give you more life experiences with the material to satisfy you.

bikecomedy

This is all about your opinion that Avery Dennison Supreme Wrapping Film is great and Avery just needs to work on quality control, and they will be on top no doubt.

The level of bias in this press release is ok with you and you've based your opinion on it. Got it.

Apology accepted.

John Butto

This is all about your opinion that Avery Dennison Supreme Wrapping Film is great and Avery just needs to work on quality control, and they will be on top no doubt.

The level of bias in this press release is ok with you and you've based your opinion on it. Got it.

Apology accepted.
So bikecomedy, are you a fan of Avery or you do not like it or am I missing something that is over my head. And one more thing, what is bikecomedy, is that like watching you tube videos of people on bikes taking spills or something else.
I am a simple person so go slow with explanations.

Bly

I dunno why you're getting upset about a company press release promoting their products but I'm probably missing something, I'm probably a bit slow like Butto...

We haven't used much of the Supreme Wrapping Film but really like the way the 1005 installs and removes.
They do have compatibility problems printing it in the HP latex printers but I think we're getting a grip on that problem now.
Avery have assured us they'll work with us to sort out batch problems and will credit us any wasted media when it occurs.

HulkSmash

Apology accepted.

Quality control in reference to their digital media, not their supreme wrapping film.

:rolleyes:

HulkSmash

I posted and article and posted my opinion after the fact. Something you obviously can't grasp. These are opinions based on 10's of thousands of miles of vinyl we've installed.

I don't think anyone understands why you're so raged.

bikecomedy

Used only 3M and Oracal for wrapping. Don't have an opinion for which is overall best.

John you don't seem to be missing anything.

Bikecomedy is my first username on the internet. Your guess makes sense today and your thoughts about it made me smile.

PRS Bryan

537835_504091129642186_1309661177_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bikecomedy

Oh come on Coloradosigns, thought this was all about your opinion that Avery Dennison Supreme Wrapping Film is great and Avery just needs to work on quality control, and they will be on top no doubt.

My guess is that the reason one posted this is because the mystery independent wrap company in the study, ahm press release, is theirs. There is really no other reason that someone would flame someone repeatedly as done here for pointing out the obvious as did others before me. No real reason to be so defensive. There has to be something is this for the poster.

John Butto alluded to what might be in it for me. Just standing up for myself here. Nothing more.

Off for the weekend.

Coloradosigns if you can wait I will be back to see your reply, defense, attack or whatever you post Monday. To all a great weekend. Even you Coloradosigns. :rock-n-roll:

HulkSmash

Oh come on Coloradosigns, thought this was all about your opinion that Avery Dennison Supreme Wrapping Film is great and Avery just needs to work on quality control, and they will be on top no doubt.

My guess is that the reason one posted this is because the mystery independent wrap company in the study, ahm press release, is theirs. There is really no other reason that someone would flame someone repeatedly as done here for pointing out the obvious as did others before me. No real reason to be so defensive. There has to be something is this for the poster.

John Butto alluded to what might be in it for me. Just standing up for myself here. Nothing more.

Off for the weekend.

Coloradosigns if you can wait I will be back to see your reply, defense, attack or whatever you post Monday. To all a great weekend. Even you Coloradosigns. :rock-n-roll:

Defense or attack? I'm really just responding to your posts, since they really make no sense. Try reading what you wrote and see if you can make sense of it please..

But seriously though, Avery must own all the companies who did the testing. Smart thinking. I mean seriously You're truly a genius. There has to be something in this for the poster? You're ignorant, i'm sorry. I use about 15-25 rolls of ij180 a month, so really to me it doesn't change much. But since you have no idea what you're talking about, i'll entertain your silly logic. Avery staged companies to say their wrap film is better. There you win.

Weekend on a Thursday? Lucky you.

signguy67

I will say this..... re-wrapping my shop truck with their solid color wrap vinyl now and have to admit. I'm quite pleased with how the material is installing. Using the brushed steel and black metallic.

I'll also say this, I've always liked Oracal (and 3M's vinyl less their yellowish color and high prices). Over the past 10 years or so I've removed a lot of wraps and whatnot. Every single one that was 3M has by far been the easiest to remove except where primer was used. I've come to despise primer.

On Oracals solid color wrap vinyl.... I gave their 970RA a try on my truck hardly 2 and half years ago. The stuff looked slick, installed very nice. It did not age well at all. In the past year it started developing some greyish spots which would not clean off. I did care for it pretty well, it was kept generally pretty clean and I did even lightly wax it a couple of times (somewhat anti-matte I guess but it still kept it's nice look) with good synthetic wax. Well over the past several months the spotting got severely worse and it started looking very bad. Turns out the spotting is like what you see on a printed wrap that has been left on far too long (like 4+ years) without ever being cared for. The spotting is etched all into the paint and my paint is totally ruined. This is the original factory paint job on a GMC pickup. It was a nightmare to remove and even pulled the clearcoat up in a few places. Had to resort to cutting it into about 3 inch strips and using a steamer to get it off in reasonable sized pieces. I have to say, at well under 3 years I'm very very disappointed in the 970RA. Maybe it was just too new a product, maybe we just have some really bad acid dew here in South Carolina, I'm not sure. The damage was only on the horizontal surfaces (roof, hood, top edge of doors, fenders on bed, etc). The rest of it came off fairly well although not as nice as 3M does. Regardless, I will never use Oracal 970RA matte vinyl for anything long term again. Especially on a customers vehicle. Unless they insist in which case we will require a signed waiver stating they are aware that there could be severe paint damage if it is left on longer than about a year.

Over the past year we have switched to and used quite a large amount of Oracal print vinyl on customer wraps. Specifically the 3751 with 290 lam. I'm slightly concerned about removing these down the road but I'm thinking that it will not be like this matte 970RA was. They better not be anyways. We always stuck with 3M in the past for good reason, it just works well. Over the years even tried a roll of other things here and there and every time was right back to 3M. I'm hesitant to dive head onto into something else that might end up negatively costing myself and my business in the long run.

Hello SightLine:

Have you contacted Oracal about this issue? If you've ever read their care and maintenance instructions on their website, it states not to apply any type of wax or polish to matte finish or textured vinyl graphics, because it will quickly degrade them. Also, if you look at any manufacturers literature regarding solid color film, you will see they all have a less than 3 year warranty on the horizontal portions of the graphics. (Hoods, Roofs, Trunks)

Wax or polish will expedite the failure on horizontal portions of vehicles as they are intensified by the Sun's UV rays. They etch into the film causing a break down in the raw materials causing the graphic to loose it's suppleness and look dried out or discolored over a very short period of time.

I just wanted to make sure you were aware of this information. Have a nice day.