• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is it insulting to point out the desired way to set up 3rd party files?

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I get a lot of 3rd party "print ready" pdf files that really aren't. We never print the pdf's directly, we always import to Corel and check sizes and set up for multiple prints as needed. Trouble is not many "degreed" designers know how to set up a pdf to be cross compatible. i.e. convert fonts, rasterize transparencies and such. They also ignore instructions to NOT send with prepress marks or bleeds. Don't need to go into detail about those troubles here though.

Seems they get insulted if I explain that I am forced to rasterize their pdf in order to make it work. Fonts are missing, transparencies coming over as flattened etc. They're completely dumbfounded and perplexed by my explanation.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
...Ideally you add $20 (or whatever) as a setup charge, and if they figure it out and set it up properly for you...
We do charge an art fee if it's not "print ready". We get a lot of raster pdf's that aren't even close to the requested size or orientation and they can't understand why there's an art fee.

RabidOne

Think of it as an educational moment. Used to deal with designers all day long, I was always willing to tell them what we required and if needed a detailed and far too technical explanation of why. Most people were just fine with that, in many cases it led to closer ties to the customer since they tended to rely on us for technical expertise and we were always willing to answer a designers questions.
Unfortunately you will always find someone who doesn't want to learn, takes offense from being wrong, no different than any other business.

CanuckSigns

We also use corel, often times I don't know if the file is wrong because of something they did, or because of an Adobe to corel bug, so it's difficult to tell if a charge is justified.

If it's something like removing printers marks, I do that in the rip in 30 seconds at no charge, but if they send me a 8.5x11 file and want it for a retractable banner, there will either be a charge, or I kick the file back.

Johnny Best

With the files they are giving you it seems you get the job finished right. Your either going to have to mess up the next job or charge a lot more.

ExtremeG Alamosa

Nope. Just told another designer to expand all fonts and embed all images because the file he sent was lacking… After a 15 minute conversation where I told him to expand and Embed at least three times. Sheesh

StephenOrange

Eater of cake. Maker of .
Insulting? It’s my standard response to BS print-files. Especially if it needs our specific cut contours, crease lines etc. I send a set of instruction, plus reasons why certain things are different from litho and a file with the correct colour for post press workflows.
And still we’ll get the pointless densi marks etc on files, crazy complex transparencies and vector files that were clearly used as-is from a free stock site. And just try and explain that in some cases that flattening a complex vector is quicker to work with…oh man, you get met with all kinds of grumbling.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes you spend more time explaining it to them 14 times, then just doing ot yourself. Happens all the time. Ya just either take a deep breath or go off on someone. In the end, theyget what they want. Charge them for it or just suck it up. This part of it will never change.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Sometimes you spend more time explaining it to them 14 times, then just doing ot yourself. Happens all the time. Ya just either take a deep breath or go off on someone. In the end, theyget what they want. Charge them for it or just suck it up. This part of it will never change.
Exactly. Unless you're dealing with multiple files/orders a day - THEN it's worth creating clear instructions for that specific customer and kindly referring them back to those instructions every time they deviate. But for one off customers or jobs, just grin and bear it and charge your hourly rate. I can count on one hand the amount of files we get in a month that are truly "print-ready", even coming from other sign shops and "designers".

jochwat

Graphics Department
The majority of designers are designers. Not printers. Not pre-press techs. Hell, some of the designers aren't really even designers. So you can't expect them to send you a print-ready file. You're the printer, and you're responsible for the pre-press. Charge the setup fee, and call it that: a setup fee. It's the charge to take your client's supplied artwork and convert it into something that will actually print as desired. You'll never get the instructions across where everyone understands. This battle has raged on for decades.

brdesign

When I was in college for graphic design, for one project we were required to use the campus printing press. Our teacher gave the printing press employees very strict instructions to not point out or correct any problems with our files. If the job didn't look correct when we picked it, we had to pay for the reprint in addition to paying for the first print.

Stacey K

I like making signs
You learn real quick when you send out files to Signs365, etc if the file isn't set up correctly. Maybe you should print it wrong once...

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I get a lot of 3rd party "print ready" pdf files that really aren't. We never print the pdf's directly, we always import to Corel and check sizes and set up for multiple prints as needed. Trouble is not many "degreed" designers know how to set up a pdf to be cross compatible. i.e. convert fonts, rasterize transparencies and such. They also ignore instructions to NOT send with prepress marks or bleeds. Don't need to go into detail about those troubles here though.

Seems they get insulted if I explain that I am forced to rasterize their pdf in order to make it work. Fonts are missing, transparencies coming over as flattened etc. They're completely dumbfounded and perplexed by my explanation.
Maybe if you were fully aware that you're not utilizing a good workflow and the proper tools for prepress, there would be no risk of insulting your customers.

Learn to use the print and prepress tools in Acrobat Pro because all the issues you've mentioned are addressed by those tools.

Good luck.

I believe everyone has their own ways of doing things and then doesn't want to go beyond their comfort zone. I try to get it done without too much intervention but sometimes a phone call is all that's needed. Phones are still the best form of communication if you can't have the person standing right in front of you.

gabagoo

Well here is the opposite... Get a call from a customer to set up some graphics to be engraved... He approves and I send his engraver an eps file. I get a call from my client telling me he can't open the file. I ask to speak to him and I ask him what software he engraves from...he says Corel Draw. I then said that I can't understand how an eps file will not work for him and he responds that he can't open it on his phone..WTF can't fix stupid I guess.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You can't control whether someone gets insulted or not from a simple request. If you need a file a certain way you need it that way. My vendors all require different information on purchase orders and get miffed when I forget to put it on there. I try my best to do it the way they want so their job is easier so they are more willing to do me favors when I need them!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I believe everyone has their own ways of doing things and then doesn't want to go beyond their comfort zone. I try to get it done without too much intervention but sometimes a phone call is all that's needed. Phones are still the best form of communication if you can't have the person standing right in front of you.
I prefer a phone call over a million back and forth emails also. I have noticed that people are surprised when you call, like they never knew that thing they carry around was actually a phone.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Maybe if you were fully aware that you're not utilizing a good workflow and the proper tools for prepress, there would be no risk of insulting your customers.

Learn to use the print and prepress tools in Acrobat Pro because all the issues you've mentioned are addressed by those tools.

Good luck.
Carefull, don't want to insult me. lol

Last edited:

myront

CorelDRAW is best

Good luck.
Now I'm insulted! :roflmao:

Nothing wrong about our workflow. We print all our own stuff and have spent many years perfecting said workflow. I know what works and what works the fastest & most economical while utilizing the substrate to its fullest. If you can't follow my simple pdf requirements then leave the profession.

Last edited: