• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Issue with first time doing wall decals

RMarshall

We do a ton of work for a local university, mostly digital/offset products and indoor short-term signage.
A department recently asked for a few simple wall decals of their logo and I figured it would be a great first-time learning opportunity (famous last words)

After checking the locations they wanted the decals I was 90% sure that standard vinyl with matte laminate would work but I printed a few small tests on a couple different materials just to be safe.
Put the tests up and a week later everything still looked great so I went ahead and printed the full order.
The logo was simple so the client installed themselves to save some money.

About two weeks later they contact me saying that the decals are starting to bubble up.
I go check and there are air bubble forming between the laminate and the vinyl, and you could see where the vinyl was shrinking and pulling away from the wall.
I figured it could have been that the decals were laminated with incorrect tension, or maybe the air-release vinyl (HP Prime Matte Air) we used wasn't strong enough so I reprinted the decals our house vinyl (Mactac RB428).

I just went to go install the reprints and not only was the paint peeling off like sunburnt skin, when I wiped it down with 70% IPA the paint got all gummy and was staining my rag.

Before I reach out to the client and blame everything on the paint – did I do anything wrong?
Or is it just bad paint?
If the paint is what's causing the vinyl issues, is there any solution other than to repaint the walls?

EDIT: a quick google search said that IPA will dissolve latex paint, but the 3M installation guide says to clean off walls with 70%IPA and gives no warning about latex paint...

petepaz

what vinyl and laminate did you use (both cast)? do you have pics of the original problem? based on what you are telling us it sounds like a paint issue

RMarshall

Here's a few photos of the bubbling the visible shrinkage

Attachments

• IMG_0382.JPG
    IMG_0382.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 191
  • PXL_20220804_204316241.jpg
    PXL_20220804_204316241.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 186
  • PXL_20220804_204329804.jpg
    PXL_20220804_204329804.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 182

ikarasu

Are they freshly painted walls? You need to wait a month after painting, I've never seen it cause bubbles but it has flaked off before.

Do you print with latex, or solvent? Did you wait for it to off gas if solvent?

RMarshall

Printed with an HP latex 560.
First time using HP Prime Matte Air with HP Matte Poly lam.
Reprinted using Mactac RB428 with the same HP lam.
Fwiw the decals are 61"w x 27.5"t...nothing crazy.

When I was pulling the old decals off the wall paint came off incredibly easily – just picking at the decal with my fingernail caused the paint to peel off.
So Im currently thinking that the paint is probably the main cause of failure but given that this is my first time making a wall decal I probably made some mistakes as well.
I laminated the replacements without any tension so we'll see if that makes any difference...

Given that 70% IPA started to dissolve the paint, are you not supposed to wipe the wall down before applying?

garyroy

You might consider using a product like "Wall Flair" or "Photo-Tex"
Those are products that are specifically made for wall application. They are removable and much easier on the paint.
I know this doesn't solve the present problem but may be an alternative if you decide to try another product.

RMarshall

One of the materials I used for the initial test was an adhesive wall fabric similar to PhotoTex, but I decided against using it because it didn't seem to have a coating so the image was easy to scuff.
I figured a laminated vinyl would be best in case they ever needed to wipe it down/clean it.
If these reprints don't work I'll try one of those products - thanks