• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Issues Printing on Avery MPI1105

I always have issues when I print on our Avery wrap film, especially when there is rich black involved. I have slowed the print speed down so it sits on the dryer longer and I have turned the dryer all the way up but I still end up with semi-tacky prints that smudge as it goes on the takeup roll. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep this from not happening? its really annoying when trying to print large wraps. I must be missing something

White Haus

Not a Newbie
What printer are you using? We're printing some right now on our Roland XR-640 but I definitely agree that it doesn't accept ink as well as say, 3M IJ180cv3. I think it's just due to the fact that the finish is so glossy.

We just created a custom 720x720 profile that's slowed way down. Seems to give it a chance to dry the inks better in between passes and before hitting the take up. Also have a fan blowing on the roll before it hits take up.

What printer are you using? We're printing some right now on our Roland XR-640 but I definitely agree that it doesn't accept ink as well as say, 3M IJ180cv3. I think it's just due to the fact that the finish is so glossy.

We just created a custom 720x720 profile that's slowed way down. Seems to give it a chance to dry the inks better in between passes and before hitting the take up. Also have a fan blowing on the roll before it hits take up.
we are also running the xr-640 and I agree the glossy finish of the 1105 seems to have the ink "pool" on the top. Do you know the print head speed? I have been using the avery profile and then changing the print head speed down to 500mm/sec but still not getting good results. I may want to switch to the Roland DGA GCVP profile and give that a try

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
Have you ever run dual fans on the print between the heat platen and the take up reel? Don't care for Roland's RIP it is extremely limited, even using FlexiSign RIP.

Last edited:

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
We are running a Roland VG-2 and have the same issue. Our work around is to get the print off the take up as soon as the printer is finished. Hang the print to dry on our 34' easel.
I love our easel....

We are running a Roland VG-2 and have the same issue. Our work around is to get the print off the take up as soon as the printer is finished. Hang the print to dry on our 34' easel.
I love our easel....
we have tried that and have had success with small runs, but that limits the size of print to around maybe 8ft which really slows down the workflow
Have you ever run dual fans on the print between the heat platen and the take up reel? Don't care for Roland's RIP it is extremely limited, even using FlexiSign RIP.
never thought of the fans, figure it would have the potential to throw some dust into the drying ink. but at this point, it might be worth a shot