• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Jewelite on Lexan

Kevin-shopVOX

Was wondering if anyone has a preference on attaching jewelite to lexan on complex shapes. Typically we use weld-on on acrylic but haven't had to use it on polycarb yet. If anyone has a recommended 2-part epoxy or other bonding agent that will firmly hold I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

IF your prefer Weld-on products, they make IPS #55 witch is a 2 part adhesive. Thre is also a product called Channel Bond which is a one part product. It should come with a large needle application bottle due to the thickness of the product.

J Hill Designs

looks like this is the stuff for you:

IPS weldon #42™: Two-component, reactive, high strength adhesive for bonding acrylic, including extruded cell cast and continuous cast, as well as, molded parts and some cross-linked sheet. It will also bond acrylic to polyester, cellulose acetate butyrate (CAB), polycarbonate and other materials. Packaged in a two component cartridge (10:1 ratio) for use with a dispensing gun and static mixing tip. Meets Mil Spec A-8576C Type lll.

UFB Fabrication

thanks for the info

I'd prefer acrylic but the the job is polycarbonate requested by the customer

We have customer ask for Lexan all the time. Generally I ask why the are wanting polycarb if its not needed because of size. In this case since you are using trim cap I assume that the letters are smaller. Unless it was a vandal issue tell him you can save some money and not have to redo them when it yellows.

assuming you are using any of the standard adhesives for this application my issue(s) with complex shapes (either difficult shapes, tight corners, or extremely small shapes/letters/etc) has not been adhesive issues but rather finding a way to hold the parts in place while the adhesive sets up properly and completely.

when i fabricated these types of signs we had multiple tables setup just for applying trimcap on which we assembled the pieces and secured them by gently pounding nails into the table tightly clamping the parts together while the glue held up.

i have seen shops that have employed every type of clamp imaginable and even a shop that utilized TAPE to secure the pieces while the adhesive cured...in my opinion there is no better way to secure the pieces than the table and nail method.

not sure what your procedure is and i would like to think that everyone uses the procedure i have described..but i have been surprised on too many occasions by people making the project much more difficult than it needs to be.