• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JPEGs turning black

Commando

So, when we send layouts to customers, we use JPEG as everyone and their momma can open them. Well, they have started turning black...
If you import the file into Paint, it is fine. But opening from photo viewer or equivalent, they are black. Just started happening, and it is affecting many people on our network. Not just 1 computer.
Anybody dealt with this mess before?

P.S. I just tried to upload one for example, and when you open it from this site, it is fine. Just like Paint.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
From what software are you saving from? What are your settings when saving as a JPEG? Are you typing.jpg instead of selecting .jpg? Have you tried Exporting for web and devices? Have you tried flattening out the image before saving it as .jpg?

Commando

I draw using corel. This is how we have been doing it for years and years, and all of a sudden, BLACK.
I always just select JPEG from the list that is there for export. What do you mean, "flattening out?"
Chris, Some are cmyk, some are basic pantone colors, some are RGB. It depends if customer sends in examples, or we create it.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
Flattening would be more for photoshop.

Can you try saving it as a 24bit PNG file and see if it still does that? It may fix it, and most programs handle png's just the same as jpg's.

Can you check the settings and such when you go to save? I don't use Corel but I would have to assume it gives you some options upon exporting, just make sure those are what you have been using.

I know it sucks, but have you tried to uninstall and reinstall?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I've noticed this too, exporting CMYK JPG's out of Corel 2021. Obviously a bug/glitch, as it never did this before on our older versions.

Try changing to RGB - seems to work for me.

ChrisN

I draw using corel. This is how we have been doing it for years and years, and all of a sudden, BLACK.
I always just select JPEG from the list that is there for export. What do you mean, "flattening out?"
Chris, Some are cmyk, some are basic pantone colors, some are RGB. It depends if customer sends in examples, or we create it.
We have what sounds like the same problem with CMYK jpegs (they happen to be exported from Illustrator). It had originally been affecting only one computer, but now several are having the same problem. Here's a few threads from Microsoft Answers with people having problems, but there are no solutions given other than downgrading the Photos app.

Commando

Flattening would be more for photoshop.

Can you try saving it as a 24bit PNG file and see if it still does that? It may fix it, and most programs handle png's just the same as jpg's.

Can you check the settings and such when you go to save? I don't use Corel but I would have to assume it gives you some options upon exporting, just make sure those are what you have been using.

I know it sucks, but have you tried to uninstall and reinstall?
Every other file type is fine.
Also, if i open a JPEG from a customer, it opens fine.
Photo viewer seems to be the only one doing it, for us and customers. But it will open JPEGs fine from other sources.
Havent tried to un/reinstall as it is effecting multiple computers.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I've been using a free program called JPEGview for a while now, the "photos" app has been too glitchy for me, but even it acts up.
I randomly get the same (inverting colors?) issue viewing JPEGS with the Photos app myself.

Commando

We have what sounds like the same problem with CMYK jpegs (they happen to be exported from Illustrator). It had originally been affecting only one computer, but now several are having the same problem. Here's a few threads from Microsoft Answers with people having problems, but there are no solutions given other than downgrading the Photos app.

See, I was wondering about downgrading. As it seems to effect every computer on our network that is designing files for customers.

Commando

Ok, so... apparently its a microsoft problem. A bug in the photos app.
Either try to downgrade it, work around it or wait for them to fix it (lol)
Thanks for the help peeps!

geb

I noticed this also today for the first time, Corel 20 saved to jpeg, then Paint photo viewer it turns black, thanks for the information.

George

MHester

I just noticed the same problem today. I got a .jpg from a customer and opened it up within my email, my default to preview it is windows photo viewer ...it shows up for 2 seconds, then turns black. If I save it out of my email then open it up in photoshop, its perfectly fine. Never seen that before.... I blame it on a windows update.

Jean Shimp

I had posted a new thread about the black jpgs, not seeing this one, because this issue is problematic for me too. I am using Corel X7. I Googled this issue and saw a bunch of replies, but no real solutions. I tried the "Microsft Advisor" chat for help but what I got was a link to a website asking for my credit card for $1 to get an answer. No thanks. I will have to save my files as .png instead of .jpg for exporting to clients. But existing files from past jobs will have to be either imported directly into Corel or use Paint to open. Hopefully this "work around" will work but if there is a better option please let me know.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I had posted a new thread about the black jpgs, not seeing this one, because this issue is problematic for me too. I am using Corel X7. I Googled this issue and saw a bunch of replies, but no real solutions. I tried the "Microsft Advisor" chat for help but what I got was a link to a website asking for my credit card for $1 to get an answer. No thanks. I will have to save my files as .png instead of .jpg for exporting to clients. But existing files from past jobs will have to be either imported directly into Corel or use Paint to open. Hopefully this "work around" will work but if there is a better option please let me know.
I mentioned above another decent JPEG viewer, I've been using it a few months since I first encountered issues with my app and it seems to do pretty well. https://sourceforge.net/projects/jpegview/

Piersqsw

That sounds like a frustrating issue with your JPEG files turning black. It's puzzling that they appear fine in Paint but not in other viewers. Have you tried updating your photo viewer software or checking for any recent changes in your network settings? Sometimes, compatibility issues arise due to updates or configurations. It might also be worth experimenting with different image compression settings to see if that affects the outcome. Tools like compress jpeg offer options to compress JPEG files, which could potentially resolve any compatibility issues.

Last edited: