• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just saying hello and asking your opinion/advice on a concept machine

HunCutCNC

Good afternoon,

I am the co-owner of a small startup in Hungary. We are building intelligent CNC routers which can be used without any prior CNC knowledge.

Our operation is currently limited to domestic customers so I am not here to sell anything. I just thought your large community could give me so honest opinions and advice.

Here is a video of what we do:

There will be more videos coming soon which shows the capabilities of the machine and software.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Video was very nice, but your spelling is atrocious. So many spelling mistakes, I couldn't read a thing. Good music, too.

GB2

Old Member
Szia! The idea and technology in your video is amazing. Someday I would love to come and see what you are doing, where are you located?. If you are looking for an honest first impression, your machine reminds me of all in one print/cut machines, which I am not fond of. I much prefer a separate printer and plotter for cutting and by the same philosophy, it might be nice if you had a separate flat bed 3D scanner and a router that could easily interpret the data without having to program 3D files. The other thing is that for sign industry purposes, I almost never find the need to copy an existing item, most of our work is original creation. I'm sure there is a market somewhere but it may be limited in the sign industry. The start up ingenuity is fantastic though!

Very cool looking! Are you using a camera to register the variation in the laser pointer lines for the topography (as well as edge detection) it looks like?

I would have to agree with GB2 that initially I would want to separate the scanning from the routing. I think most people thinking of production capabilities would feel the same; however, based on the apparent size of the table and the video highlighting the fact you can copy designs, it seems like this is being marketed more as a one-off machine for custom projects and not full production runs.

Do you sell a separate scanning station? How long does the scanning process and file generation take? I'm just curious about the "down time" between scanning and production.

Thanks for sharing!

garyroy

His English is better than my Hungarian.
Üdvözöljük

It would be cool if it had a vacuum attachment to take away the dust. Print shops and wide format machines do not like dust.
Keep up the good work!

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Very cool.

Possibly silly sugestion, but if there were a camera involved, and a method to lay down a bar code, then could an airbrush be swapped in for the router, or run on a second mount using something like a waterjet gymbol to do spray work. Some sort of pin register, but then you might be able to do scan, cut and paint. Operator switches out parts, and sets aside to dry, then back in, and barcode read... Or three units, scan, cut and paint.

Barcode could be as simple as a roll of stickers to start.

Lovely volume of potential.

HunCutCNC

Szia! The idea and technology in your video is amazing. Someday I would love to come and see what you are doing, where are you located?. If you are looking for an honest first impression, your machine reminds me of all in one print/cut machines, which I am not fond of. I much prefer a separate printer and plotter for cutting and by the same philosophy, it might be nice if you had a separate flat bed 3D scanner and a router that could easily interpret the data without having to program 3D files. The other thing is that for sign industry purposes, I almost never find the need to copy an existing item, most of our work is original creation. I'm sure there is a market somewhere but it may be limited in the sign industry. The start up ingenuity is fantastic though!
We are located in Erd, approx. 20 km from Budapest, Hungary. You are more than welcome to come and see us. We would love to show you what we have and have a chat over a cup of coffee.

We build these machines for people who has little to no experience. Using multiple hardware and software can be too much for many people. Copying existing items is definitely not for the sign industry but maybe cutting out shapes from a piece of paper and make the machine copy those contours can be interesting.

Our goal is to keep it as simple as possible.

HunCutCNC

Very cool looking! Are you using a camera to register the variation in the laser pointer lines for the topography (as well as edge detection) it looks like?

I would have to agree with GB2 that initially I would want to separate the scanning from the routing. I think most people thinking of production capabilities would feel the same; however, based on the apparent size of the table and the video highlighting the fact you can copy designs, it seems like this is being marketed more as a one-off machine for custom projects and not full production runs.

Do you sell a separate scanning station? How long does the scanning process and file generation take? I'm just curious about the "down time" between scanning and production.

Thanks for sharing!
Yes, we use trigonometry to measure the depth along the laser lines (camera-laser offset and angle is known and the depth can be precisely calculated). The camera images are processed real time. We use a built in GPU to process the data and create a point cloud. Following the point cloud creation we clean the data and generate a water tight surface and save the model in STL format (so it can be used in a CAD software or mesh editor).

The scanning speed depends on the camera fps. Our base model uses a standard 30fps camera but the machine has the computing power to process frames real time to up to 300fps.

With the standard camera the scanning speed of let’s say a 200 mm x 300 mm object is approx. 4 minutes. The same scan takes approx. 1 min with a high speed 120fps camera.

Once the scanning is done the data cleaning and surface generation takes only about 2 seconds and another 2 seconds is the toolpath generation.

The scanner comes with the machine and we don’t sell it separately (yet).

HunCutCNC

This is brilliant, and yet terrifying. Wall-e level terrifying. I mean it's fantastic to build tools for people who aren't educated in a traditional sense to utilize such tools, but the end implication that nobody will need to learn how (or even why) to use the tools, makes me wonder where we would be in 50 years. Am I alone in this?
Again, this is brilliant! Do you have a target price point? How long does the actual scan take to complete, or how long would a square foot take to scan.

This would save tons of time in just refacing existing channel letters, if you could get all the letters off in one piece that is...

HunCutCNC

No, you are not alone. This is indeed terrifying, but people already use technology they don’t understand on the daily bases. Think about microwave oven, robot vacuum cleaner, etc.
Scanning a square foot would take approx. 5 min (see my post above for a more detailed explanation on scan speed).

The target price will be in around 40K USD. Everything is included in the price (software, vacuum, automatic tool change, scanner, touch screen, etc.)

HunCutCNC

His English is better than my Hungarian.
Üdvözöljük

It would be cool if it had a vacuum attachment to take away the dust. Print shops and wide format machines do not like dust.
Keep up the good work!
The machine will come with a dust shoe but it is hard to make videos when the shoe is attached.

HunCutCNC

Very cool.

Possibly silly sugestion, but if there were a camera involved, and a method to lay down a bar code, then could an airbrush be swapped in for the router, or run on a second mount using something like a waterjet gymbol to do spray work. Some sort of pin register, but then you might be able to do scan, cut and paint. Operator switches out parts, and sets aside to dry, then back in, and barcode read... Or three units, scan, cut and paint.

Barcode could be as simple as a roll of stickers to start.

Lovely volume of potential.
Good idea. Rolling a sticker is relatively easy but still it would involve a kind of feeder mechanism, extra moving arm and possibly a thermal printer as well.

Unfortunately we don’t have much experience with spraying paint but will definitely add these to the “wish” list.

Thanks for the ideas.

HunCutCNC

40K USD? That's great, considering you could almost spend that in software to do all of these things. What's the machine's working area?
Ok, now can you throw a FDM printhead on it as well? Now that would be neat. I'd gladly take one of these into my shop for beta testing whenever you're ready!

The machine that you see in the video has a working area of 800mm x 1000mm x 205mm. This is our smallest one.
We built a large one as well a couple of month ago with a work area of 2300mm x 4800mm. Here is a video of that machine:

We have an in-house 3D printer expert so an FDM head may be in the pipeline in the not too distant future.

I would love to give away a few machines for beta testing but we are a really small startup at the moment so you have to wait for that a little bit :)

HunCutCNC

You could look into incorporating one of these into the tool changer, not sure what the technology is called, but I've seen many versions from different vendors:

Edit to say, this is only useful for the barcode angle.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. We will definitely take a closer look at it.